London - is it getting shitter?

Is London getting shitter?

• Yes. Move it to a different planet

Votes: 129 89.0%
  • No. I love it. Roll out the barrel etc.

Votes: 16 11.0%

• Total voters
It's a bit irrational of me really... the plates in general 'more money than sense', but secondly, why would you be showing off about a feckin' postcode?!?!>
And thirdy, what Jack S said ;)
Console yourself with the thought that (if the owner really did spend money to buy that VRN, and it's not mere coincidence) his efforts to impress went straight over my head, and (i'm fairly certain) will do likewise for a gazillion other UK citizens (many of them residents of That Lahnd'n)

Frankly, I'de get more antagonistic about the sheer crass lack of good taste that goes with "buying a Porsche Cayenne".

It was, after all, the vehicle that introduced me for the first time (back in 2002, when one overtook me and my psychologist colleague, Caroline, in our army-leased Ford wossname Focus estate, as we were westbound on the M3) to the expression"butt-ugly" :-D

Console yourself with the thought that (if the owner really did spend money to buy that VRN, and it's not mere coincidence) his efforts to impress went straight over my head, and (i'm fairly certain) will do likewise for a gazillion other UK citizens (many of them residents of That Lahnd'n)

Frankly, I'de get more antagonistic about the sheer crass lack of good taste that goes with "buying a Porsche Cayenne".

It was, after all, the vehicle that introduced me for the first time (back in 2002, when one overtook me and my psychologist colleague, Caroline, in our army-leased Ford wossname Focus estate, as we were westbound on the M3) to the expression"butt-ugly" :-D
Excellent points, and I thank you for making them!
I future, I'll look at the ugly car , ugly plate & ugly owner and think 'They could have used that £70, 000 for good purposes. They are demonstrating they're w@nkers, even when they're not there. And are slightly poorer w@nkers, impressing only those similarly afflicted'

Discussing West Croydon with a mate recently we decided it was time to let the Germans have another crack at it.
Had a choice when travelling to Croydon of getting off the train/tram at either West or East Croydon.
Then someone sent me the crime stats. Not gonna be West Croydon anytime soon!
(a bit hyperbolic as I have gone to West Croydon before & it was fine, but that was daytime and a while before. I'm not liable to be mistaken for a gang member either. Not one of the ones that do the street dealing or fighting, anyway)

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Prisons don't work, and our jail population has increased significantly over the past 30 years or so, the highest in western Europe. I feel sorry for the officers. The government is unlikely to do anything about it for fear of offending the wokists, nor do they seem bothered about clearing up crime-ridden hotspots.

And it's true that in the past people created prisons simply to replace the death sentence and corporal punishment.
Yep, I agree - an eye for an eye. If someone murders, molests a kid etc - hang the bastards. For people caught stealing - chain gangs as paid labour for the government, they should be paid £1 a day and should work until they have been paid enough to pay back their victims every penny + compo.
People convicted for violence - beaten up every day and put in the stocks and little kids could kick them in the balls (or clunge).
Prisons are too soft - In my totalitarian world crime would be nearly no existent. 3rd time you're convicted - it's into the mince meater with you and you can fertilise the plants (no funeral or anything like that).

Last edited:

holyphuc

Old-Salt
I've always thought that the victim should get some payback, for something like a mugging the perp gets a full face helmet and cricket box, the victim them gets to leather them with a length of alkathene pipe for one minute. The more serious the crime the less protection for the crim and the longer the victim gets to beat them, the victim also has the option to let the criminal off if they grovel enough or to have a family member or friend administer the beating if they are physically unable to do it.

Yep, I agree - an eye for an eye. If someone murders, molests a kid etc - hang the bastards. For people caught stealing - chain gangs as paid labour for the government, they should be paid £1 a day and should work until they have been paid enough to pay back their victims every penny + compo.
People convicted for violence - beaten up every day and put in the stocks and little kids could kick them in the balls (or clunge).
Prisons are too soft - In my totalitarian world crime would be nearly no existent. 3rd time you're convicted - it's into the mince meater with you and you can fertilise the plants (no funeral or anything like that).
I've always thought that the victim should get some payback, for something like a mugging the perp gets a full face helmet and cricket box, the victim them gets to leather them with a length of alkathene pipe for one minute. The more serious the crime the less protection for the crim and the longer the victim gets to beat them, the victim also has the option to let the criminal off if they grovel enough or to have a family member or friend administer the beating if they are physically unable to do it.

This is similar to what they used to do in ancient Greece - the victim could choose the punishment.

Nowadays people die before they see justice because lawyers are more interested in profit.

Just because things happened thousands of years ago doesn't necessarily mean they were worse than our current system.

RTU'd

LE
The Nasty nazi party visited Croydon
they came back and bombed it the next time
croydon.jpg
But they did a crap job at it, then they built the roundshaw estate on the airport.

Poppy

LE
Discussing West Croydon with a mate recently we decided it was time to let the Germans have another crack at it.
wait till I've done my driving test there please

We were in London yesterday and today. Shepherd’s Bush area.

Now, this time there I actually started looking with an objective view.
I came away thinking that London really has no identity.
I realise it’s got a lot of diversity and culture, but it really doesn't mix or identify with the majority of the country.
It’s got lots of historic features that highlight the U.K., but they are of a different era.

I’m not saying this in a blinkered Daily Hate story way. This was genuine observation and an open mind. I could not see how London related to the rest of the country.

I personally found it a bit sad really. Maybe we really do need a new national capital that reflects the country.

Last edited:

Poppy

LE
We were in London yesterday and today. Shepard’s Bush area.

Now, this time there I actually started looking with an objective view.
I came away thinking that London really has no identity.
I realise it’s got a lot of diversity and culture, but it really doesn't mix or identify with the majority of the country.
It’s got lots of historic features that highlight the U.K., but they are of a different era.

I’m not saying this in a blinkered Daily Hate story way. This was genuine observation and an open mind. I could not see how London related to the rest of the country.

I personally found it a bit sad really. Maybe we really do need a new national capitol that reflects the country.
you could start with spelling "capital" in the British rather than American way :)

I know what you mean - I live in London and the rest of the country is like a different country. I'll have to learn to acclimatise when I retire to the seaside! The tourist parts of London, Buckingham Palace, St Pauls, Westminster Abbey etc are symbols of Britain but I'm not sure how they are relevant to someone living in eg Cumbria or Dorset

Latest Threads