London - is it getting shitter?

Is London getting shitter?

• Yes. Move it to a different planet

Votes: 119 89.5%
  • No. I love it. Roll out the barrel etc.

Votes: 14 10.5%

• Total voters

Issi

LE
Presumably, he was being sent on detached duty. A nice little earner if you don't mind being away from home.
We've constantly got staff leaving.
Experienced Officer's with twenty odd years in just walking out with no job to go to. Others are doing HGV lessons on rest days or taking leave to do so, that's if you can get leave with the current staffing problems.
Now the economy is picking up (however temporary) & there's jobs out there, who'd be a Prison Officer for £24k a year. And that's after a few years service.
After many years in uniform I'm now in civvies for just a couple of days a week.
But believe me, I don't look on in amusement.
I met a chap recently who’d jacked in the prison service after 20 years to go and work in TATA steel in Port Talbot.

He told me he’s on ‘the broom’ at the minute because he’s new, but he was loving the change, as before he left he was in charge of one wing all by himself.
Sounded well scary.

Sana

Old-Salt
Prisons don't work, and our jail population has increased significantly over the past 30 years or so, the highest in western Europe. I feel sorry for the officers. The government is unlikely to do anything about it for fear of offending the wokists, nor do they seem bothered about clearing up crime-ridden hotspots.

And it's true that in the past people created prisons simply to replace the death sentence and corporal punishment.

Last edited:
Prisons that are deeply unpleasant, not holiday camps run by inmates and their woke legal parasites.

It's called 'a fascist* state', just for the record.

* Other labels are available for criminally illegitimate behavours by state agents on behalf of governments that (by virtue of their policies and attitudes) are criminal. But I'm reasonably sure you get my point.

Maybe music makes the point a bit better

I've no problem in making the punishment worse than the crime. Its about the only thing Islam has right imo.

What's the alternative?
The Scandinavian model, which starts with the assumption that the vast majority of petty offenders can be successfully rehabilitated at a much lower total cost to society and to the economy than is incurred by a UK-style system of incarcerating them in low-budget penal institutions where they mostly learn how to be more persistently criminal.

If they paid a decent salary for prison officers there might be more interest and better retention.

Outside the South/South East/London the rate is £24k for a 39 hour week INCLUDING 17% unsocial hours allowance. Basically a little over £10 an hour excluding shift allowance.

Hardly makes what is probably a difficult job seem enticing at that salary.
Wandsworth was harsh (Sometimes TOO harsh)-- until the Woke Brigade took over--- but it worked.-- Now it's FeKed.

The Scandinavian model, which starts with the assumption that the vast majority of petty offenders can be successfully rehabilitated at a much lower total cost to society and to the economy than is incurred by a UK-style system of incarcerating them in low-budget penal institutions where they mostly learn how to be more persistently criminal.
Were you prison officer or inmate?
Screw--- and older cons agreed.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
There's plenty of social housing and council estates in central London. Fitzrovia, east of Albany Street, the Regent's Park estate (off Hampstead Road), Soho, Somers Town, King's Cross (Gray's Inn Road, Judd Street, York Way, Caledonian Road, Pentonville Road).
Unfortunately, the people now managing many of these properties, are the new generation of little starlets, and empire builders, and do not take the long term view of maintaining properties, keeping the rents affordable, and keeping the community together, the usual suspects have smelt money, listened to the big faces, and taken on board their ideas of increased profits and off course a better class of clientele ie rich yuppies
And have tried to evict long term tenants by rent rises and contract changes
The tenants are fighting back, but in the same way that companies outsource for quick short term profits the catalysts will always be there, until you allow people with a decent morale code to run the entire operation and keep the big faces away

Tool

LE
There's plenty of social housing and council estates in central London. Fitzrovia, east of Albany Street, the Regent's Park estate (off Hampstead Road), Soho, Somers Town, King's Cross (Gray's Inn Road, Judd Street, York Way, Caledonian Road, Pentonville Road).
I had a great-aunt that was living on 5th Avenue, New York. She and her husband had lived there since (?)1934, and were in a rent-controlled flat of $34 a month. She died in 1999, still paying $34 a month at the time of her death. Last time I checked, it would have been rented out for somewhere around $9,000 a month.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I, for my sins, live in the Regency Spa town of Cheltenham.
Great places to eat, drink, spend money.... you name it.
It's vibrant but not especially diverse, and safe (although a friend of mine was once given a black eye by a flying empty bottle of Bollinger on Gold Cup night, many years ago, in The Retreat. It is worth mentioning that everyone eventually shook hands).
Its a nice town
Cycling home very late last night I was chased by some drunken half dressed young ladies, expecting a mauling I stopped, they wanted me to take their picture outside the theatre!!!
(a Frank Marcham design reminiscent of the muppet show one)
Apart from the usual council estate mongs, and twats with loud exhausts it is a peaceful place, Gloucester however is another world entirely

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Wandsworth was harsh (Sometimes TOO harsh)-- until the Woke Brigade took over--- but it worked.-- Now it's FeKed.
A schoolfriend dad worked there, nice house included (long since sold off no doubt)

Had done 22 years in the army, been in a few battles, nice chap but took no messing with the inmates firm and fair
Probably staffed by graduates and trans people now

Latest Threads