London - is it getting shitter?

Is London getting shitter?

• Yes. Move it to a different planet

Votes: 54 91.5%
  • No. I love it. Roll out the barrel etc.

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters
London has historically been very shit. However, like India's populace, it is expanding exponentially in its shitness.

I hate London and would be quite happy to see a neutron bomb dropped on it, so as to preserve the National History and Science Museums.

London's the only place I know where they can charge £9 for a pint and a can of fizzy with a straight face.

Plus - politicians, so, y'know.
Did I read that correctly , $12.50 or £9 for a pint of beer?!?! I pay slightly less for a liter of microbrew at the Dog Haus.

One has to loaded to live in London it seems.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’m a Londoner born and bred and I ******* hate the place.

We left 10 years ago and have only been back on the odd occasion either for work or as tourists. To be honest the whole place can **** off. Every time I go back it seems further and further from the town I grew up in.

And it’s not because I’ve turned into a full on country bumpkin. I absolutely love Newcastle and Manchester. Properly cool towns with a great vibe and cool people.

London is just a playground for rich foreigners now and I keep as far away from the place as possible.

It's always been shit. It takes a brain melting level of destructive evil to make it even worse.
images (3).jpg

Nailed it.

The weather aside, London could be one of the world's best cities to live in. Off the top of my head, I can think of maybe half a dozen cities around the world that are equally fascinating. I love the history and the buildings and could easily spend days doing the cultural bits.

The problem is that London has about twice or three times as many people as fit comfortably. The cost of living is insane and the quality of life is low. The Capital is badly governed, poorly policed, and doesn't feel like England any more. It is, increasingly, a lawless third world toilet.

Neutron bombs, persistent nerve agents you say?

Hmm....

I’m a Londoner born and bred and I ******* hate the place.

We left 10 years ago and have only been back on the odd occasion either for work or as tourists. To be honest the whole place can **** off. Every time I go back it seems further and further from the town I grew up in.

And it’s not because I’ve turned into a full on country bumpkin. I absolutely love Newcastle and Manchester. Properly cool towns with a great vibe and cool people.

London is just a playground for rich foreigners now and I keep as far away from the place as possible.
What he said. we moved out 33 years ago, ( E11) mainly for the children's sake, thank god we did, all are still alive and prospering, as are the grandchildren. My yearly visit to see the family lasts a day, that's it i cannot stand any longer, its one big colossal smelly overpriced rip-off crowded fast impersonal ignorant foul mouthed shit hole.
Someone once said" Never go back, remember it as it was". & "The past is a different place, they do things differently there".

As a child and a youth I loved london, it was a vibrant and interesting place, the swinging sixties and seventies were wonderful times, now it has morphed into a monster, controlled by self serving corrupt chancer's and idiots, inhabited by total strangers who are all after the main chance, at whatever it costs, and that is quality of life, neighborliness and a little compassion for their fellow man. its is now one big gigantic grossly overpriced open air lunatic asylum.:sad:

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Please, please, pretty please, can the Luftwaffe come back and finish the job.
I’m thinking more like Enola Gay. Twice one for North of the river and one for South.
Delivered when the wind is blowing in an Easterly direction.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I didn’t think that was possible.
It was shit in 70’s, well Chelsea Barracks was and it was shit later in the 80’s and continued despite my gallant efforts it got worse and worse.
Every time I watch the news it seems something has happened that just makes it unique and well, shittier.

Blogg

LE
I didn’t think that was possible.

Oh it is.

Khan isn't going to back down for simple reason that TfL are happily projecting £2m in ULEZ fees from the expanded zone and of course not forgetting all those luverly penalties. That is £2m per day.

But wait, how did the existing zone get on in terms of actuals versus revenue projections?

I've not been to London for almost 2 years now (at least covid had a positive side effect) and am not really looking forwards to going to do a show at ExCel in Jan.
This show (BETT) is the second largest show they hold there, just behind Comic Con. The floorpaln I've been shown for the next show is a third smaller than the previous shows with many spaces still empty and many other companies I've talked to have downsized their stands as no one is sure what the footfall will be like. Most suspect it will be well down and there is talk that since many did just as well without the show over the past 18 months then then it may just be the last one for them.
This is mainly accounted for by them replacing shows with webinars which saves them £££,£££'s each year.
Thinmgs have moved on and I wouldn't be surprised to see London taking a business hit when it comes to events like this.
Our food bill for the week comes in at around £1200 just for my staff! I for one won't miss London at all.

Blair and New Labour ruined London (as in inflicting/allowing irreversible damage). That's a considered opinion, not just a reflex scapegoating of the grinning spiv. The city had plenty of problems during previous decades, but we really began to witness the shitness around the Millennium.

I was born and spent the first 5 years of my life there, so I don't really remember it that well. I've been back quite a few times, the first in 1970 and recall it as a vibrant, exciting and interesting city, but since the late-80s it's been going downhill.

Recently I've done a few Remembrance Parades and those experiences have left me with a deep loathing of the place. I won't voluntarily be going back again.

TfL wouldn't have a deficit if he'd raised fares but due to his wanting to be popular and wanting to get voted back in, he won't, so the driving fraternity have to take up the slack. It's ridiculous, he ran free buses during the lockdown and raised the congestion charge as well as changing the operating hours and still has a massive deficit!
I never ever ever thought I'd defend the tw@t Khan, but here goes....

The TfL deficit would still be there even if he'd raised fares. During the period March-June 2020 daily travel was virtually zero, revenue zero but fixed costs were all still there. I'm sure every other metro system, in Berlin, Vienna or wherever is in a similar position.

In every other sense, the bloke is an absolute twonk, but the state of the TfL finances is not one he can be blamed for imo.

As a child and a youth I loved london, it was a vibrant and interesting place, the swinging sixties and seventies were wonderful times, now it has morphed into a monster, controlled by self serving corrupt chancer's and idiots, inhabited by total strangers who are all after the main chance, at whatever it costs, and that is quality of life, neighborliness and a little compassion for their fellow man. its is now one big gigantic grossly overpriced open air lunatic asylum.:sad:
....otherwise OK?

Went at the weekend for pre wedding shopping.

Carnaby street has been ruined, just a street of mainstream stores, non of the cool bespoke shops I remember.

Selfridges is just a mess, bloody difficult to find anything.

Liberty is like a bin full of the crappy clothes discarded from London fashion week.

The lass returned with some eye watering expensive jeans and a belt.
I ended up with a couple if cuban cigars.

Had a far more successful shopping trip to Reading & Bracknell.

I think I have spent more on clothes in the last 2 days than I have in the last 5 years.

London is a collection of ghettoes bounded by the M25 or the equivalent of Trump's Wall. Every fecker thinks they are entitled to everything without lifting a finger and even brag about being poor and on benefits, attending food banks and mugging if they need a bit extra. Cops are generally absent, road cleaners and bin collections rare and every twot dumps their rubbish wherever they want. Hospitals overcrowded, churches empty, councils bankrupt and corrupt and slums everywhere as though Rachman still exists. Bloody awful place! :cool:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I never ever ever thought I'd defend the tw@t Khan, but here goes....

The TfL deficit would still be there even if he'd raised fares. During the period March-June 2020 daily travel was virtually zero, revenue zero but fixed costs were all still there. I'm sure every other metro system, in Berlin, Vienna or wherever is in a similar position.

In every other sense, the bloke is an absolute twonk, but the state of the TfL finances is not one he can be blamed for imo.
He's not raised fares in 5 years, they've stayed the same but over heads have gone up. March- June 2020 footfall was there, maybe not as much as usual, but he cancelled all fares on buses so no revenue whatsoever there which doesn't help the deficit when he still has to run a bus network and they never cut bus services, tube services were cut because very few would use them. If you have no income, and yearly rises to match the inflation rate, how do you expect to defeat the deficit. He went running to teh Govt for handouts and was given ultimatums to help out and he took the easy route, wallop the motorist, not the huddled masses that use the buses and provide most of his votes.

Latest Threads