London - is it getting shitter?

Is London getting shitter?

• Yes. Move it to a different planet

Votes: 129 89.0%
  • No. I love it. Roll out the barrel etc.

Votes: 16 11.0%

• Total voters
I would suggest that some of them have an IQ far higher than that - it is just that their sub-culture has conditioned them to believe that there is no path from the ghettoised shithole in which they reside other than to join a gang, knock up a handful of skanky women who are also fellow residents of their neighbourhood (thus ensuring the next generation of failures) and go full on Mr Stabby at the least bit of dis-respec.

This is not an excuse for them - but rather that society has failed them by excusing their actions. Far too many of the Guardianistas have made personal fortunes by this route (I am looking at you Owen Jones and your book ‘Chavs”) and thus the band-wagon rolls onward. There is a mahoosive industry based on perpetuating such despair.

I am not sure how we could derail this particular gravy train - but until we do then part of the problem will persist. Oh and importing the more opportunistic parts of the third world will not help either.

Recruit our coppers from the ranks of Brazil's plod. The lads from London's hood won't know what hit 'em.

I'm a big fan of their method of dealing with armed wannabes. Saves the state a fortune in trail and prison costs. What's 2 x 9mm hollow point cost these days? £1.50?

Edit typo

Sana

Old-Salt
I would suggest that some of them have an IQ far higher than that - it is just that their sub-culture has conditioned them to believe that there is no path from the ghettoised shithole in which they reside other than to join a gang, knock up a handful of skanky women who are also fellow residents of their neighbourhood (thus ensuring the next generation of failures) and go full on Mr Stabby at the least bit of dis-respec.

This is not an excuse for them - but rather that society has failed them by excusing their actions. Far too many of the Guardianistas have made personal fortunes by this route (I am looking at you Owen Jones and your book ‘Chavs”) and thus the band-wagon rolls onward. There is a mahoosive industry based on perpetuating such despair.

I am not sure how we could derail this particular gravy train - but until we do then part of the problem will persist. Oh and importing the more opportunistic parts of the third world will not help either.

True, plus parents have had their own experiences, passing it on to their children and not having any expectations of them.

The last I heard they got arrest and where awaiting trail (circa 2002). My career path was not compatible with their friendship so I drifted away. No idea what happend to them.

From what I understand very few drug dealers make a decent living. Much better to learn a trade.
Agreed. Drugs? It's all (ahem) smoke & mirrors, at least according to a few investigations*. While the turnover and flashcash look good, unless you get to the top, avoid jail and shooting/stabbing..most involved really don't do well.

Does that bother people that are young? infinite belief in themselves, or taking a chance in case they get lucky, or just don't care , coz they'll get shanked /run over by a bus etc. Or thick.

*Howard Marks' autobiography was the first I remember.

Site Admin

War Hero
Recruit our coppers from the ranks of Brazil's plod. The lads from London's hood won't know what hit 'em.

I'm a big fan of their method of dealing with armed wannabes. Saves the state a fortune in trail and prison costs. What's 2 x 9mm hollow point cost these days? £1.50?

Edit typo

Shame it doesn't work though:

murder.png

Brazil.png

Is London shit?

Yes.
Giving a straight, simple, truthful answer to a question? You'd never make a good politician.
I am of course assuming that there is such a thing as a good politician. Alive.

Agreed. Drugs? It's all (ahem) smoke & mirrors, at least according to a few investigations*. While the turnover and flashcash look good, unless you get to the top, avoid jail and shooting/stabbing..most involved really don't do well.

Does that bother people that are young? infinite belief in themselves, or taking a chance in case they get lucky, or just don't care , coz they'll get shanked /run over by a bus etc. Or thick.

*Howard Marks' autobiography was the first I remember.

It's been 20 years since I have had to look at crime figures, but I reckon the churn rate of dealers on the streets is the same. A few years dealing, arrest, a few years in prison. A few years dealing, and a few years in prison. Repeat the grind.
Street level dealers are 10 a penny and easily replaced.
You would probably make more money working in McDonalds.

RTU'd

LE
Find more places like the Principality of Sealand & put prisons on them.
Zero chance of escape & just out of site of UK plc.

23.5 hrs a day in a cell with no TV & 30 minutes brisk exercise.
Only books/magazines allowed a Bible, TV Choice, Hello & Big n Busty - a popular magazine a friend says.
Cell will have bed, small table, cement chair and combination toilet/basin like in yank jails.
Prison officers do 7 days on/off.

Make prison an experience that only lifers or nutters like.
Visitors only when a calm sea.
No smoking allowed.

It's been 20 years since I have had to look at crime figures, but I reckon the churn rate of dealers on the streets is the same. A few years dealing, arrest, a few years in prison. A few years dealing, and a few years in prison. Repeat the grind.
Street level dealers are 10 a penny and easily replaced.
You would probably make more money working in McDonalds.
The first book ’Freakonomics’ is was an offshoot of a economic study into the behaviours of drug dealers.

Basically you are right - the pay is piss poor at anything other than the highest levels. (just looked up the book) At the lowest levels of a street gang selling drugs in 1989 the lowest foot soldiers were paid about $3 an hour and the next level up (the middle management) $7 or $700 a month.

The chapter in the book is titled ‘Why do drug dealers still live with their moms’ as the pay is so bad they have to. Oh and in a four year period there was a 1 in 4 chance of getting killed. Definitely worth a read by the way - and their podcast is pretty thought provoking too.

London has always been shit.

Between the Black Death, the odd fire or two, and The Blitz, it has never quite been finished off.

But with my new political party - Share London - where global companies have to relocate 90% of their staff to the provinces or pay a 59% location tax to remain there, I hope the 90% of the rest of the UK who (a) don't live there and (b) have a vote, will be able to finish the squalid sewer off once and for all.

Vote Share London - you know it makes sense!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Find more places like the Principality of Sealand & put prisons on them.
Zero chance of escape & just out of site of UK plc.

23.5 hrs a day in a cell with no TV & 30 minutes brisk exercise.
Only books/magazines allowed a Bible, TV Choice, Hello & Big n Busty - a popular magazine a friend says.
Cell will have bed, small table, cement chair and combination toilet/basin like in yank jails.
Prison officers do 7 days on/off.

Make prison an experience that only lifers or nutters like.
Visitors only when a calm sea.
No smoking allowed.
Do we not have a few sea forts dotted around the Channel and Solent?
1632168192104.png

The last I heard they got arrest and where awaiting trail (circa 2002). My career path was not compatible with their friendship so I drifted away. No idea what happend to them.

From what I understand very few drug dealers make a decent living. Much better to learn a trade.
It is a road to misery. You're basically making a deal with the devil when you start selling drugs. It almost always ends badly. Even if it doesn't, you'll miss out on a lot of other opportunities along the way. Very, very few drug dealers live happily ever after.

I had a few offers to enter that world when I was fresh out of the army. I turned them down. Most of those guys are long dead. One is broke, scared, essentially unemployable and living with his elderly mum.

See thinking like this & the tough stance would make you a good Prisons Minister of State.
Give prisoners a quick, hard shock with no home comforts & hard labour, make prison something to fear.
If only there were enough people who wanted to be Prison Officers & the Government weren't so bloody fluffy we could run a harsher regime in the jails we already have.
:)
Our retention rate for Officer's is about 11% after a year.

Latest Threads