London - is it getting shitter?

Is London getting shitter?

• Yes. Move it to a different planet

Votes: 130 89.0%
  • No. I love it. Roll out the barrel etc.

Votes: 16 11.0%

• Total voters

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Normal rent here for nice decent private rent stuff is about £550. Per month that is. I'd say that's about par throughout the UK?
Apart from London, around my part of London a room in a house goes for around 500-600 (inc bills)pm, large bedsit will set you back around 850-900 pm, 1 bed flat around 1000-11200 pm, 2 bed 1200-1500 pm. I wont even let you know the rental prices for anything larger but a hint is that a reasonable 3 bed house can and will cost anything north of 550,000.

Last edited:
I had a few short contracts at the HO in Croydon in 98,99 and 2000. It was not that bad. Surrey St market was brilliant and the bars/clubs suitably crap but fun.
Never had any issues on the buses back to Plumstead/Woolwich.... But then again I am not a respectable gent.

You never got accosted by the druggies from the hostel by Lunar House, that was normal daytime stuff

I just look respectable, and after a few pints my posh voice kicks in so I guess that changes people's attitude

Greenwich always seemed a nice place when I visited once in a while when in my teens .
Hate to think how bad it is now .

Last time I was there was 2016. Went to the pub for the last time with my dad before cancer took his mobility at the end. Greenwich is very posh now.
The centre is like a fake plastic tourist version of its former self.
The park is still awesome!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Apart from London, around my part of London a room in a house goes for around 500-600 (inc bills)pm, large bedsit will set you back around 850-900 pm, 1 bed flat around 1000-11200 pm, 2 bed 1200-1500 pm. I wont even let you know the rental prices for anything larger but a hint is that a reasonable 3 bed house can and will cost anything north of 550,000.
As you know I use to police North and South of your area. I occasionally have a look at rightmove and am flabbergasted beyond belief at how much housing costs in those areas and knowing the high rates of crime especially in Lewisham, even back then the majority of burglary victims couldn’t afford home insurance, it was pay the rent/mortgage and bills, insurance was a luxury.

Good luck! I hope you get it all sorted, but it sounds like you are in for a bit of a rough time before it gets better.
Cheers for the good wishes. It's been a rough eleven years, especially for the last six. Been trying to get advocacy to deal with public bodies and legal representation for the latter period with no success. I finally got my papers put before a high court judge on Friday after a farcical 3 weeks of lost documents and utter bollox from public servants. Not hopeful but fukkit.

As you know I use to police North and South of your area. I occasionally have a look at rightmove and am flabbergasted beyond belief at how much housing costs in those areas and knowing the high rates of crime especially in Lewisham, even back then the majority of burglary victims couldn’t afford home insurance, it was pay the rent/mortgage and bills, insurance was a luxury.
Many moons ago, I was able to keep a (ok, very tiny) bedsit, before and while I was serving, just off Westbourne Grove in Notting Hill for twenty quid a week. It was well worth it for a bolt hole and London base, even with the building housing drug dealers, prostitutes, loonies and Welsh bank robbers (the latter I got nicked again having found that the Old Bill from outside the Met were looking for him. He was a total c@nt).

You never got accosted by the druggies from the hostel by Lunar House, that was normal daytime stuff

I just look respectable, and after a few pints my posh voice kicks in so I guess that changes people's attitude

I don't think the druggies pan handling where any worse than in London proper. I think I became very desensitised to them from an early age so it is hard for me to tell.

My dad lived on Bingham Rd, Addiscombe, so I got to know Croydon a bit. It got worse, really run down in the 2010's then massive rabbit hutch flats got built by East Croydon station for commuters. £££££
I bet it is still soulless.

I liked Lewisham in the 80's/90's it was a bit rough but was on the up..... then nosedived. Passed through it in 2015ish and it was looking really run down in the way only a London borough can. Millions being spent on private developments and **** all being spent on the people or infrastructure.

Does the shopping centre still have animal head bins?

It's all about transport links. I think prices went up in SE London when they extended the London Overground about 10 years back.

Near me, prices have skyrocketed in West Drayton (not somewhere I'd want to walk at night let alone live) purely because of Crossrail.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I liked Lewisham in the 80's/90's it was a bit rough but was on the up..... then nosedived. Passed through it in 2015ish and it was looking really run down in the way only a London borough can. Millions being spent on private developments and **** all being spent on the people or infrastructure.

Does the shopping centre still have animal head bins?
You mean the infamous Riverdale? I don’t know not been there since around 1998/2000.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
It was just known as the Lewisham Shopping Centre. No idea if has been renamed.
It was named The Riverdale Shopping when first opened in 1978, I always knew it as that, it has since being renamed The Lewisham Shopping Centre, I didn’t know that.
You learn something everyday

I spent much of my childhood in and around London, dad being in the army etc.
We lived for a good few years in Woolwich Common, in a 3 storey townhouse of modern construction. I really enjoyed it there, our house was just past the junction of Red Lion Lane and Woolwich Common rd, and it overlooked what is now shown as 'Academy Ground' on google maps.
I drove through the area a few years ago (my job takes me into London fairly regularly) and it has changed significantly for the worse.
The gap between rich and poor is massive in London now. The Officer's mess building that is opposite where we lived was re-developed recently, I can't imagine that the appartments are affordable to many people. If you have that much money, why would you want to live in such a dump of an area? I assume that people buy these places to rent out.

When I was house hunting for my present place (4 bed semi, drive, garden, nice neighbourhood etc) I checked to see what I could get for the same money in Ealing where I grew up.

Best I could find was a 1st floor 1 bedroom flat next to a council estate, no parking, no garden... I still have old schoolfriends living in Ealing - for what they could get for selling their houses they could move to somewhere a lot nicer and still have a lot left over. However I believe some of them still have grown up kids still living at home as the kids can't afford their own place.

Latest Threads