London - is it getting shitter?

Is London getting shitter?

• Yes. Move it to a different planet

Votes: 118 89.4%
  • No. I love it. Roll out the barrel etc.

Votes: 14 10.6%

• Total voters
I raise you this:

Fecking hell! Googlemaps caught a couple of people mid teleport.
1631896843973.png

............... What like knighsbridge, Mayfair, kensington, park lane, Holland park, Chelsea, Pimlico, Fitzrovia, Albany street, regents park, any houses surrounding the squares off oxford street, or soho get a grip , unless you are seriously loaded, lets start at about £3,000,000 to buy, (Grosvenor square houses start at £8,000,000 )or rent at £500+ a week shall we, what working man with a family to support has that kind of dosh, i mean ordinary folk, tradesmen, drivers, even office wallah's Etc. The 3 bed Victorian terraced 1895 built house in E11 i bought in 1984 for £19,500, now sells for £500,000. My wife's old house in N16, once a 5 bed terraced one family home, now flats, rent about £1100 per Month. A whole house for , now get this, £3500 P/M. This area is about 5 Miles north east of central city, o_O
Promoted over a toxic perfect storm spanning about 4 decades of the desperate & gullible finding ways to get bummed sideways into paying the effin' leg breakers...and to local authorities subsidising it into seemingly being normal and legitimate.
Same sort of thing in my FK post code in private sales.
Local Authority sales up here from the 80's Right to Buy laws now see those people dying off, and the families reselling back to the Council (properties that were sold) to max discount tenants for say 8k-10k for anywhere from 70k for a two bed flat usually with gardens etc, to 80/90k for 2-4 bed end terraces.
They will be refurbed and re-let for around £3 to £400 per month.
Normal rent here for nice decent private rent stuff is about £550. Per month that is. I'd say that's about par throughout the UK?

Last edited:

Ref: the earlier post about Croydon.... just another day

It was shite in the 90's, turned up for a contract and within the first week was having after works drinks in some Croydon bar when someone asked how I got here from work

When I said that I caught a bus, the sheer horror on their face was a sight to behold. I was told in no uncertain terms to get a taxi home as anyone looking respectable is asking for it at night

Sana

Old-Salt
............... What like knighsbridge, Mayfair, kensington, park lane, Holland park, Chelsea, Pimlico, Fitzrovia, Albany street, regents park, any houses surrounding the squares off oxford street, or soho get a grip , unless you are seriously loaded, lets start at about £3,000,000 to buy, (Grosvenor square houses start at £8,000,000 )or rent at £500+ a week shall we, what working man with a family to support has that kind of dosh, i mean ordinary folk, tradesmen, drivers, even office wallah's Etc. The 3 bed Victorian terraced 1895 built house in E11 i bought in 1984 for £19,500, now sells for £500,000. My wife's old house in N16, once a 5 bed terraced one family home, now flats, rent about £1100 per Month. A whole house for , now get this, £3500 P/M. This area is about 5 Miles north east of central city, o_O

There's plenty of social housing and council estates in central London. Fitzrovia, east of Albany Street, the Regent's Park estate (off Hampstead Road), Soho, Somers Town, King's Cross (Gray's Inn Road, Judd Street, York Way, Caledonian Road, Pentonville Road).

Last edited:
There's plenty of social housing and council estates in central London. Fitzrovia, east of Albany Street, the Regent's Park estate (off Hampstead Road), Soho, Somers Town, King's Cross (Gray's Inn Road, Judd Street, York Way, Caledonian Road, Pentonville Road).
Loads of social housing and council estates in Chelsea as well.

Site Admin

Old-Salt

Exactly; the 'mansion next door to a ghetto' is rampant phenomenon across London all the way down to semis and flats. Isn't the point of forking out all that money is so that it's a nice locale at the minimum...?! Yes I know the cleaners and crack heads have to live somewhere fairly near to their place of work/dealer...

It was shite in the 90's, turned up for a contract and within the first week was having after works drinks in some Croydon bar when someone asked how I got here from work

When I said that I caught a bus, the sheer horror on their face was a sight to behold. I was told in no uncertain terms to get a taxi home as anyone looking respectable is asking for it at night

I had a few short contracts at the HO in Croydon in 98,99 and 2000. It was not that bad. Surrey St market was brilliant and the bars/clubs suitably crap but fun.
Never had any issues on the buses back to Plumstead/Woolwich.... But then again I am not a respectable gent.

A fair proportion of social housing in Hampstead.
But it has all been bought up from the council or it is unlawfully sublet to the wealthy.
The area has changed so much for the worse over the years.

Sana

Old-Salt
Exactly; the 'mansion next door to a ghetto' is rampant phenomenon across London all the way down to semis and flats. Isn't the point of forking out all that money is so that it's a nice locale at the minimum...?! Yes I know the cleaners and crack heads have to live somewhere fairly near to their place of work/dealer...

Makes sense. There's always been poor people living in central, it was much worse in the Victorian era. Oliver Twist and his creator lived in Bloomsbury, not Bermondsey. It's more convenient for the rich and poor to live side by side.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
But back to the thread title - Yes, it is undoubtedly getting sh*tter.

I find London at times is one of those places when I'm there I wish I wasn't but when I'm not there I wish I was there.

The Adventures of Twizzle, Torchy the Battery Boy and Four Feather Falls, all of which I can just about remember.
Spot on - I'm old enough to (just) remember the first two, and the third more clearly.

Of which, on You Tube, you can find the very first story - in two parts/episodes - if you care to look. I daresay there's some of the first two in there two.​
And where did Fireball XL5 fit into Gerry's timeline? Pre, or post, Supercar?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads