London Irish to lose Caubeens!

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by hellmett, Jun 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. More regimental traditions bite the dust!

Taken from their Facebook page here:-

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4289489236

Update 17 June 2009

Last night post on Part one orders were instructions to drastically reduce the wearing of the caubeen and to replace it with a green beret worn over the left eye.

Without any doubt this is a dark day for the LIR. The permission to wear distinctive headdress that are link to the ethnic origin or routes of a regiment was given to the various regiments in the army after the First World war to act as an act of remembrance to the fallen.

We have the right to wear the shamrock on St Patricks Sunday as a mark of the service the London Irish carried out in South Africa in the Boer War. South Africa is our first Battle Honour.

Now after the company were told the caubeen was safe and no change woudl happen this has been posted on part one orders. A sad dreadful day for those who have fallen and those who are serving. Are we to become another non descript regiment in the British Army.

Clearly little regard for what the caubeen really means.

The Jocks are safe becasue they have a covenant that links the uniform and the drill hall.

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

FFS that is totally out of order! It's not as if the Caubeen is a huge extra expense for the MoD.

One step further down the road to becoming one great big amorphous mass!

Living round the corner from the LIR I sympathise deeply!

3. Shame on those beancounters !

Perhaps the Foot Guards could wear berets instead of Bearskins? At least no endangered species were killed to make the Caubeen.

Let not the Caubeen go the same way as the Artists' Rifles bicycles

4. It is another step forward to the day when we all have one capbadge on a floppy hat. Unfortunatley that day is getting closer. :evil:

5. Can't be arrsed........any Guardsmen present to put this doughnut on the right path?

6. Gremlin

Same thoughts applied here, but I suspect it is a fishing expedition!

7. I would love to bite, but I can only think of calling you a co-ck.

Why do we keep losing the traditions of our regiments?
    Another very good reason to get rid of the powers that be as fast as we can.

8. Why Why Why?

What on earth can be the motive behind this petty decision? Who made it?

Vote with your feet boys or just ignore the bloody order.

Good luck!

9. Gremlin

Yup, but there is such a thing as going too far..

If the PWRR resorted to your preferred headgear they would have to readopt the Martini-Henry as well!!!! :lol:

10. Why not issue us all with a Fez?

Or one of them "jester hats"?

Green, of course!

11. Will the London & Liverpool Scottish be told to swap their TOS's as well?

12. Sadly despite the four 'Courses Of Action' outlined by the CO of the Londons last year I would have a quiet bet with anybody that within the next year (2 at most) the Londons will be wearing khaki berets, a common capbadge with the Guards Blue Red Blue backing flash.

The Guards (despite what they say publicly) must be itching to scrap 'A' Coy's TOS, 'B' Coy's PWRR Tiger and Blue Yellow Blue Beret flash, 'C' Coy's Hackle and sadly 'D' Coys Caubeens in order to make all soldiers in the Londons look like plastic Guardsmen. I've already seen several Officers wearing the Guards tie instead of their Company tie or at best the London Regiment tie.

The influx of Guards PS and Regimental officers with political and personal motives will ensure it's a done deal trust me.

13. As a Cavalry chap through and through I am all in favour of distinct variations of dress at the smallest unit level - although I do gag at Paras wearing berets with Service Dress.

I say that we should keep the Caubeen, and although it looks like the 'Sorting Hat' from Harry Potter, I am reliably informed that it doubles up as a sleeping bag and so saves the MOD no end of money.

14. They are incorrectly dressed and should be bagged. Chippy bas.tards.

15. Gremlin

Please excuse my swearing in here, but don't they have enough fucking train sets to go and play with, without destroying the history of recruitment in London?