london gazette

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by the_creature, Dec 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering how to use the London gazette to find commissions of officers.
    do I type in a name, army number, the date. The reason why I ask is due to the fact im a stupid twat with no sense of direction via internet such as the London gazette.

2. yes helps if you can put in a date field

3. I use the search facility at the London Gazette quite often. A very useful tool in addition to tracking down officers & awards.

Use the Advanced Search facility.

If you have a surname and a number then it is a doddle. Put one in the "exact" box and the other in the "must contain" and you're away. If you have dates so much the better.

I'd quote the exact box names but I'm having problems linking to the site just now.

4. That's the first time I've seen my commissioning notice.

Cheers!

5. I find you can't go wrong with a service number and a surname. Service number alone throws up some quite random things, and obviously unless it's a fairly unique surname that alone will not be great.

6. I cant bloody figure out how to use the Gazette. I have the following details i want to research;

13337 PTE A.A. GREENFIELD - ESSEX REGIMENT

I have tried different combinations of searches but cannot find any relevant information regarding service or awards. Can anybody help??

7. Do you know for certain that he earned any gallantry awards?

8. do a search purely by service no.

9. Does the Gazette only show gallantry awards? Does it not confirm information such as enlisted dates and operational service etc?

10. I thought it only showed commissioning dates and gallantry awards only. I am often wrong though.

11. Hi Daxx, i tried this but it came up with two other individuals!?

Pte Kelly and Sjt Barnes

12. no only things like LS&GC awards, look on a family tree website for military records

13. Unfortunately Pond Life don't get a mention! Hope that helps?

14. Oh right OK, that explains why I cant even find my own data.

Thanks