London Derry or Derry on the BBC

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by conco, Jun 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having been listening to not only BFBS news but the BBC news online about the report comming out today, I have always thought that it was LondonDerry and not Derry?
    So why then can our own news services not get the name of a UK city right?
  2. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

The BBC are just being politically correct and don't want to upset the Micks. It's fecking LONDONDERRY you twa*s
  3. Because they are a bunch of P C Pro PIRA cnuts
  4. What ND said.
  5. What he said...

Quis Separabit
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum
  6. Don't think it's a hole with either name.
  7. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

They way it works on the BBC locally is first mention is Londonderry and Derry thereafter this used to be standard BBC practise.
  8. So Newcastle will be Newcastle first then just Castle after that?
  9. So I live in Daff, on the outscirts if Diff
  10. You mean as in the words of 'The Sash My Father Wore' -
    " It was worn at Derry, Aughrim Inniskilling and the Boyne" :D :D
  11. When in Rome etc etc.

All the same guys.
  12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

If you are talking about that twat Daly, then his official title was Bishop of Derry which it has been since the 1100's and certainly post Reformation.

As for the rest, the name only became an issue in the 1970's and before that even the staunch Prods referred to Derry. The London part is a commercial name after all; it was branding for the London Livery Companies under James I.

Maybe it's about time that we grew up and recognised that since the early 1600's it has been referred to as both, by both sides, and that it really doesn't matter that much!
  13. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

The website for The Apprentice Boys of Derry.
  14. New 24 is calling it Londonderry on the banner.....
  15. Londonderry/Derry - dpends on where you are in the city, and to whom you are speaking.

"Safe" setting would be "Stroke City" as used by Alec Lomas, who I believe grew up there.