London Bombing after math. My thoughts.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by happy_as_a_hat, Nov 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Obviously these were a horrific chain of events and should be remembered as such. I just have a few views to put to the floor as it were...

Firstly, I saw one of the blokes who lost a leg, the BBC has been following his progress since the terrible events of 07 Jul. He is getting on fine now and used the last installment of the BBC coverage of him to blatently plug a record he is making. If this isn't a shameless use of peoples good will to make hismself a bit of cash, i don't know what is.

Secondly, having watched the nes coverage of the service in Lonon last night to remember the bombing and the 52 people who lost their lives I pondered to myself; how many of these people will be at a service on remembrance sunday or will observe the silence on 11 Nov? I fear not many will.

Are these views ahared or should i get back in my cynical box and continue to think the worst of everyone i meet?

2. Got to say, without being shot down, because it happened to "US" and not "THEM" we are having to endure these stories and tales for as long as the bbc, et al, can play this out. I'm not saying that i dont think these people should be alowed to voice their opinions and feelings, but across the national media.........?

Considering the back lash regarding our stance supporting the u.s and our move into iraq, it was inevitable that sooner or later we would endure these attacks.

Yes, I understand that these people went through a daunting experience, lost loved ones, etc...............

But why do we not see coverage of British Soldiers injured in Iraq, being able to explain what happened, how the coped, etc? Does it only make good coverage if its a british civilian on british soil??

3. As would I, under the same circumstances. After all my career as a one man band would be buggered.

Yes. This sort of thing happens twice a week in the ME, but I've yet to hear about the "Baghdad spirit", or heard of an Iraqi being referred to as brave or "plucky" for returning to work.

4. 'Secondly, having watched the nes coverage of the service in Lonon last night to remember the bombing and the 52 people who lost their lives I pondered to myself; how many of these people will be at a service on remembrance sunday or will observe the silence on 11 Nov? I fear not many will.'-happy_as_a_hat
    A good 'ponder' that one happy,also how many services has Blair attended for military personnel killed in Iraq? he was quick enough to get his nose in on the Ken Bigley service in Liverpool.

5. I'm of the view it's about time the bomb victims got some sympathetic coverage, I was beginning to think that the only victim was that Brazillian illegal immigrant Menendez. It was amazing the rush to compensate his family as opposed to the shameful episode of compensation for the bomb victims. Where were all the human rights lawyers then? Too busy trying to get people released from belmarsh no doubt. The dead and injured are part of the same war we are all fighting, it's just that the front line has changed. Is anyone aware the 7/7 bombers were also planning a UK Beslan?

6. ref the uk beslan, no, where did that little gem come from?

7. But, he was charged with Wasting Police Time rather than any specific Terrorisdm Offence! Clearly Walts transend all sections of society!

8. He has since been charged with wasting police time... patel isn't that a Sikh surname

9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

[rhetorical]I wonder why MoD should feel it necessary to prevent wounded soldiers telling their stories?[/rhetorical]

MoD's PR machine has made much of a few soldiers who were badly wounded, with photoshoots showing them in hospital surrounded by their mates and demonstrating that good old 'back to Blighty and crack on' spirit. Never seen a follow-up, mind you.

We do not hear much about the soldiers who suffer psychological injuries; I would be particularly interested in hearing how TA personnel fare in these circumstances.

10. Wasting Police time eh? Maybe he should be sharing a cell with the Ripper hoaxer then, thank you for enlightening me! As for the TA returning from Telic, they are having problems because they are thrown back into civvy street fter Demobilisation and cant even train whilst on post op leave. I think many problems could be prevented by keeping them in the system within their units for a couple of weeks prior to demob, just to wind down in the company of their mates. Its a bad enough culture shock returning from ops in the regs never mind being thrown to the civvy wolves if you are TA, there needs to be a better understanding of the fact that things are never quite the same for people who return from busy ops, or who have been involved in a terrorist incident.