London Anniversary Games 2019 Athletics - Pointless..

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
Bit bored today, did a bit of channel surfing and ended up watching (for about 30 minutes) some of the London Anniversary Games Athletics in London. I used to love watching athletics back in the day when the likes of Sebastian Coe, Steve Ovett, Steve Cram, etc were smashing it all over the place.

But these days I am of the opinion that any British or European Athletes, male or female are completely wasting their time. It doesn't matter how dedicated they are, how hard they train, how many hours they put in, they are never going to be able to achieve what they would hope for.

Why? Well using the example of the women's 5,000 metres I saw today there was a lead group of female athletes of about 15 athletes. Then trailing a long way behind was another group. What was the difference between the two groups?

Steve Cram was the commentator and kept referring to the leading group of athletes, and the trailing group of athletes. He may well as just said the leading group of black athletes, and the trailing group of white European Athletes.

Now before the racist police start busting a blood vessel, this has got absolutely fuckall to do with race. It is about unfair advantage based on the physiological capacity of athletes who were born, and live full time, and train at high altitudes, who just happen to be from countries in the African nations.

British and European Athletes may be just as talented with the same potential as their African counterparts, but the difference is the altitude they live and train at. It is like having two identical cars in a race, but one has a bigger carburettor, with turbo injection, the other has not. Only one car is going to win that race.

Living at altitude increases the lung capacity, the VO2 Oxygen uptake, the haemoglobin levels for increased oxygen carrying capacity allows the athletes to train harder, run faster and run longer in training, which increases even more when they come down to lower altitudes. It is an unfair advantage, almost as unfair as cheats who take anabolic steroids. I don't call Caster Semenya a cheat, but with testosterone levels as high as hers she is more man than woman and should not be allowed to compete against women who will never beat her because of this.

So what is the point of British and European athletes working as hard as they do when they are never going to win? Should there be different competitions based on VO2 oxygen uptake because of the altitude factor.

Until this is addressed Athletics is a pointless event, as a spectator and as an athlete.

London Anniversary Games LIVE results: Schedule, live stream and TV

cowgoesmoo

Clanker
Maybe we should have separate skiing events then for the UK skiers as it's patently obvious that the French, Swiss, Austrians etc have an unfair advantage due to geology....

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bit bored today, did a bit of channel surfing and ended up watching (for about 30 minutes) some of the London Anniversary Games Athletics in London. I used to love watching athletics back in the day when the likes of Sebastian Coe, Steve Ovett, Steve Cram, etc were smashing it all over the place.

But these days I am of the opinion that any British or European Athletes, male or female are completely wasting their time. It doesn't matter how dedicated they are, how hard they train, how many hours they put in, they are never going to be able to achieve what they would hope for.

Why? Well using the example of the women's 5,000 metres I saw today there was a lead group of female athletes of about 15 athletes. Then trailing a long way behind was another group. What was the difference between the two groups?

Steve Cram was the commentator and kept referring to the leading group of athletes, and the trailing group of athletes. He may well as just said the leading group of black athletes, and the trailing group of white European Athletes.

Now before the racist police start busting a blood vessel, this has got absolutely fuckall to do with race. It is about unfair advantage based on the physiological capacity of athletes who were born, and live full time, and train at high altitudes, who just happen to be from countries in the African nations.

British and European Athletes may be just as talented with the same potential as their African counterparts, but the difference is the altitude they live and train at. It is like having two identical cars in a race, but one has a bigger carburettor, with turbo injection, the other has not. Only one car is going to win that race.

Living at altitude increases the lung capacity, the VO2 Oxygen uptake, the haemoglobin levels for increased oxygen carrying capacity allows the athletes to train harder, run faster and run longer in training, which increases even more when they come down to lower altitudes. It is an unfair advantage, almost as unfair as cheats who take anabolic steroids. I don't call Caster Semenya a cheat, but with testosterone levels as high as hers she is more man than woman and should not be allowed to compete against women who will never beat her because of this.

So what is the point of British and European athletes working as hard as they do when they are never going to win? Should there be different competitions based on VO2 oxygen uptake because of the altitude factor.

Until this is addressed Athletics is a pointless event, as a spectator and as an athlete.

Of course your post is blatant racism because it is about the 5000 metre race.
There's a clue there for you! :D

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
Maybe we should have separate skiing events then for the UK skiers as it's patently obvious that the French, Swiss, Austrians etc have an unfair advantage due to geology....
I almost thought that was a fair point and was about to agree with you until...

Well, if they’re Kenyan athletes, I’d also add EPO to their list of advantages. Allegedly.

Nearly all the Brits do high altitude training in somewhere like Iten. But it’s like saying that you don’t see many Kenyans in the Premier League - it’s because football is a minority sport over there, much like track athletics is a minority sport over here. If you have loads of kids doing it, plus a bunch of other factors (altitude, expectation, training knowledge, drugs), is it any wonder you can continually churn out top placed athletes?

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
Well, if they’re Kenyan athletes, I’d also add EPO to their list of advantages. Allegedly.

Nearly all the Brits do high altitude training in somewhere like Iten. But it’s like saying that you don’t see many Kenyans in the Premier League - it’s because football is a minority sport over there, much like track athletics is a minority sport over here. If you have loads of kids doing it, plus a bunch of other factors (altitude, expectation, training knowledge, drugs), is it any wonder you can continually churn out top placed athletes?
I think it is also a financial draw for the Athletes from the African nations. There is more money to be made in one race as a top athlete than most of their families would earn in a lifetime.
It's not a difficult choice, should I work earning next to fuckall on a farm or a plantation, or herding animals, or, let me think about it for a minute...take up running.

Either way our athletes like McColgan and company don't stand a chance. Gutted for them.

I know that arrse posters perform at world class level when it comes to whinging, but I feel we are overlooking some of the successes at the weekend, including.
Jake Wightman 3rd in the mile
Laura Muir 1st in the 1500m
Zharnel Hughes 2nd in the 100m
Miguel Francis 2nd in the 200m
1st in the men's 4x100m relay
Dina Asher-Smith 2nd in the 100m
Beth Dobbin 3rd in the 200m
Laviai Neilsen 3rd in the 400m
Lynsey Sharp 1st in the 800m
Alexandra Bell 3rd in the 800m
Shelayna Oskan-Clarke 4th in the 800m (yes, that's 3 in the first 4)
2nd in the woman's 4x100 relay

Club Swinger

Old-Salt
I know that arrse posters perform at world class level when it comes to whinging, but I feel we are overlooking some of the successes at the weekend, including.
Jake Wightman 3rd in the mile
Laura Muir 1st in the 1500m
Zharnel Hughes 2nd in the 100m
Miguel Francis 2nd in the 200m
1st in the men's 4x100m relay
Dina Asher-Smith 2nd in the 100m
Beth Dobbin 3rd in the 200m
Laviai Neilsen 3rd in the 400m
Lynsey Sharp 1st in the 800m
Alexandra Bell 3rd in the 800m
Shelayna Oskan-Clarke 4th in the 800m (yes, that's 3 in the first 4)
2nd in the woman's 4x100 relay
You make a fair point, I have to admit (about Arrsers being World class at whingeing) and the other stuff I suppose. But apart from Mo Farah who was born at altitude and spends most if his time training there, what chance have our other Male and female athletes got at the middle to long distance events...

You make a fair point, I have to admit (about Arrsers being World class at whingeing) and the other stuff I suppose. But apart from Mo Farah who was born at altitude and spends most if his time training there, what chance have our other Male and female athletes got at the middle to long distance events...
Do you mean like Jake Wightman in the mile?
Or Andy Butchart, 5th at the weekend, but only 5s behind the winner in the 5000m?
Laura Muir is a genuine contender at 3000m as well as 1500m, and will probably develop to challenge at 5000m as well.

.... plus a bunch of other factors (altitude, expectation, training knowledge, drugs), is it any wonder you can continually churn out top placed athletes?
Genetics too. Surviving marauding packs of fast-movers with sharp teeth does wonders for the pool.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Much as I love my sport, I have difficulty generating enthusiasm for athletics, motor sport or darts.

Cram will be talking about the THREE groups of athletes, the trailing group, mainly white females, the middle group, with natural tans, and the lead group, who once upon a time quite recently had meat and two veg.

Alas, @Club Swinger , time, and lefty politics, have left your reasoning stalled on the starting blocks. Pubs open though, fancy a pint?

Mo Farah was born in Mogadishu, you know that altitude city by the sea!!?

He then spent some of this childhood in Dijbouti, a country with a few peaks around 4000', somewhere in the range of the Swiss Alps. Also it has the lowest levels of land (below sea level) in the whole of Africa

He also left for the UK aged 8 yrs old.

Perhaps it could be he's just very talented?

Perhaps it could be he's just very talented?
But not that fast.

I'm not being glib.

Farah's times in the first 4/5ths of either of his better distances (5 and 10k) are well below world record* and season best times. What he does have is the ability to put in a phenomenal final 400m having just run a quick 4600m/9600m. His opponents were frequently far to selfish to work together to beat him - not least because it meant they were guaranteed to lose to one of their peers.

HIs lifetime best in 5k is 12:53.11, the WR is 12:37.35; for 10k 26:46.57 and 26:17.53 respectively. He's slow compared to those. The season best for 5k this year is a second faster than his lifetimes best; for 10k it is only just slower.

But not that fast.

I'm not being glib.

Farah's times in the first 4/5ths of either of his better distances (5 and 10k) are well below world record* and season best times. What he does have is the ability to put in a phenomenal final 400m having just run a quick 4600m/9600m. His opponents were frequently far to selfish to work together to beat him - not least because it meant they were guaranteed to lose to one of their peers.

HIs lifetime best in 5k is 12:53.11, the WR is 12:37.35; for 10k 26:46.57 and 26:17.53 respectively. He's slow compared to those. The season best for 5k this year is a second faster than his lifetimes best; for 10k it is only just slower.
Seems to me that's a pretty useful talent/skill to have then as it's done him very well up to now.

Seems to me that's a pretty useful talent/skill to have then as it's done him very well up to now.
absolutely - that's a great tactical run and if you've got the ability to do it, why wouldn't you? If he can run a world class first 3/4 or whatever (even if not a WR run) but then by doing that save himself for flicking the manual overdrive switch for the last bit, then good luck to him. Can you imagine leading him for most of the race but knowing he's going to come steaming past just as you allow yourself to believe that this might be your lucky day?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Paula Radcliffe did ok?

It's all cultural.

You rarely see an athlete of colour win a medal in the swimming pool.
In some countries water is scarce and not for playing in.

Latest Threads