London 2012 Olympics - Sport Specific Volunteers - Shooting

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pips, Oct 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As many of you will know Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich is the chosen venue to host the shooting elements of the London 2012 Olympics.

We are coming to the end of the recruiting process - 'Games Maker', but I wanted to highlight that we are still looking for Sport Specific Volunteers (SSV).

To run the event I am looking for individuals that have a good working knowledge of either competition shooting or work within armouries. If you are interested in applying please go to:

Get ready to apply | Volunteering home | London 2012

You can enter SHCXSH as the relevant code and this highlights you as an SSV.

There is quite an undertaking and we would be expecting to use volunteers for our test event in Apr 2012, the Olympic Games and the Para Olympic games. There will also be a mandatory selection process.

Details have been passed to National Governing Bodies and the Army Rifle Association too.

Closing date is 27th Oct 2010 but can be extended to capture individuals later in the process.

Please help out where you can and PM me if you need more details.

Many thanks

2. The British Olympic Committee have completely shafted British shooters by selecting this unsuitable venue and ensuring there is no legacy for Shooting Sports. This is aside from their utter contempt for pistol shooters whose sport is banned in this country.

The National Governing Bodies have demonstrated how spineless, incompetent and generally utterly, useless they are by backing this shambles.

I suggest you get Geoff Doe, Glynn Alger and the once President of the British Pistol association, Seb Coe to do it themselves.

They can ram it.

3. CAn we put you down as a "maybe" then???

4. First: calm down.

Second: It's got nothing to do with the British Olympic Association. They worry about the participation side of things. It's LOCOG who are doing the organising of London 2012.

Third: The National Governing Bodies had rock-all to do with it, and argued against the current setup. Unfortunately, LOCOG is doing its own thing, and has studiously avoided engagement with the NSRA (it's even told the occasional fib). The NGBs are involved because they don't want the UK to look like the Delhi Organising Committee.

Fourth: Don't get upset at the NRA. It's absolutely none of their business, seeing as they aren't the governing body of any of the Olympic disciplines. Their only possible involvement is that they had the land to build a facility, even if it was too far away from the Games Village.

Why should anyone agree with you when you don't have a clue what's going on? You seem to be advocating a "cut off nose to spite face" argument...