Log Line ?

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by CrabfatBILL, Dec 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What was the purpose of Log Lines. Seen neatly coiled and hanging from belts up until the early fifties. Were they of any use or just another hangover from the Napoleonic wars ?

CrabfatBill

2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

You could join several together to make a longer rope. Google images has leaflet scans.

3. Could be joined to make sling so that several persons could move a load. Act as an individual traveller. Tow rope for recovery. Multifarious really only limit is your imagination.

4. .........They were also used in one of the P Company Selection Tests.

The Log Race..........a test of severe Pain!

5. Do you mean Fibre Rope Assembly, Single Leg. As above the toggle and loop rope about 2m long?

Still on issue! And used for a multitude of things....

Q.

6. That usually hurt and/or leave ones heart rate raised and breathing out of.

7. Also used in WW2 by some very brave ladies dropped by parachute into France as SOE agents .

NICBT 1.jpg

8. I've got a couple that I was issued with years ago.

9. Toggle ropes! Never done a river crossing?

10. Also used frequently by the commitee of the OCA to convert their Handbags into shoulder bags ,seems to be an RE ailment

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

toggle rope pretty usefull bit of kit, ended up yankified as a bit o rope with a screw gate caribiner on the end. hanging on webbing looking ally for the use of.

a log line is for measuring a ships speed isn't it?

12. Grumbles. I think the 'yankified' item you are referring to is the 'sling seat' (length of rope) with a snap sling (carabiner) used for rappeling (abseiling) out of a helicopter, etc. Different from a toggle rope!