Lock'n'Load with R Lee Ermey

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by velcrostripes, Feb 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't know if many of you have been watching this light hearted and entertaining series about the history and
    development of various weapons on the Military History channel .

Gunny Ermey is a good presenter as he does not take himself at all seriously and just parodies himself whilst having a blast with all sorts of hardware.

Just watched the episode on rockets though and was a tad disappointed that the German "Nebelwerfer" , the Soviet "Katyusha" or the even the German "Panzerfaust" got a mention , which is just poor research really.

Any other comments on the series ?

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

It's an American series focussing (primarily) on American developments in firearms and gunnery, so what did you expect? I suppose that any AD element to the programme would not include the Bofors 40/70, Rapier, Blowpipe, Javelin, or HML, but would cover Patriot, Stinger etc...

3. Must 've seen them all over the years, what you have to bear in mind is that its not intended for a military audience, it is entertainment for yank gun nuts. A little info and then it's all about shredding everything to bits. I remember him in a marksman competition with Englishman where, surprise surprise, the yank came out on top. Good entertainment though.

4. Funniest bit was when he was watching an Apache or Cobra trying to blast a tank, the ****** was hitting everything BUT the damned tank, going on about accuracy, pricless.
    Still as you mentioned he doesn't take it seriously, even plaing it a bit camp.

5. I remember him firing the Chauchat and it jamming after a couple of seconds "Goddam piece of crap"

He also made me laugh when he got his hand on a S&W Model 500 and creamed his pants. "I need one of these!"

6. Yes, most of his stuff is pro-US gear. The exception is his comparison of the BAR and Bren. (How can any serious military person prefer the BAR to the Bren - personal opinion.) I was amazed. He went through his usual "made in the USA" sales pitch; then he compared the two weapons in the US Army "walking fire" scenario (which the Bren was never designed for) - and declared the Bren the winner. Talk about a back-handed compliment.

Cheers,
    Cliff

7. lock and load?! **** me!

8. The AK47/M16 comparison was good, even he had to struggle to keep a straight face when he knew the AK was an easier weapon to clean.