Lock'n'Load with R Lee Ermey

Don't know if many of you have been watching this light hearted and entertaining series about the history and
development of various weapons on the Military History channel .

Gunny Ermey is a good presenter as he does not take himself at all seriously and just parodies himself whilst having a blast with all sorts of hardware.

Just watched the episode on rockets though and was a tad disappointed that the German "Nebelwerfer" , the Soviet "Katyusha" or the even the German "Panzerfaust" got a mention , which is just poor research really.

Any other comments on the series ?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
It's an American series focussing (primarily) on American developments in firearms and gunnery, so what did you expect? I suppose that any AD element to the programme would not include the Bofors 40/70, Rapier, Blowpipe, Javelin, or HML, but would cover Patriot, Stinger etc...

Must 've seen them all over the years, what you have to bear in mind is that its not intended for a military audience, it is entertainment for yank gun nuts. A little info and then it's all about shredding everything to bits. I remember him in a marksman competition with Englishman where, surprise surprise, the yank came out on top. Good entertainment though.

Funniest bit was when he was watching an Apache or Cobra trying to blast a tank, the ****** was hitting everything BUT the damned tank, going on about accuracy, pricless.
Still as you mentioned he doesn't take it seriously, even plaing it a bit camp.

I remember him firing the Chauchat and it jamming after a couple of seconds "Goddam piece of crap"

He also made me laugh when he got his hand on a S&W Model 500 and creamed his pants. "I need one of these!"

Yes, most of his stuff is pro-US gear. The exception is his comparison of the BAR and Bren. (How can any serious military person prefer the BAR to the Bren - personal opinion.) I was amazed. He went through his usual "made in the USA" sales pitch; then he compared the two weapons in the US Army "walking fire" scenario (which the Bren was never designed for) - and declared the Bren the winner. Talk about a back-handed compliment.

Cheers,
Cliff

Yes, most of his stuff is pro-US gear. The exception is his comparison of the BAR and Bren. (How can any serious military person prefer the BAR to the Bren - personal opinion.) I was amazed. He went through his usual "made in the USA" sales pitch; then he compared the two weapons in the US Army "walking fire" scenario (which the Bren was never designed for) - and declared the Bren the winner. Talk about a back-handed compliment.

Cheers,
Cliff
The AK47/M16 comparison was good, even he had to struggle to keep a straight face when he knew the AK was an easier weapon to clean.