Lockheed unveils new carrier borne strike UCAV

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by sunnoficarus, Apr 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks like the future is going to be here rather sooner than later…

Good job we future proofed our carriers.

"Lockheed Martin is taking the wraps off its submission for the US Navy's prospective unmanned carrier launched airborne surveillance and strike (UCLASS) aircraft at the Navy League's Sea-Air-Space Exposition in Washington DC."

Lockheed unveils unmanned surveillance and strike aircraft

2. The world is truly fucked when the Americans reach their ideal of fighting a war without losing people. What will the do with the purple heart mountain? Had to watch a flickery screen man, gave me a migraine ooooraaaaa. Do I get the new Purple head medal.

• Like Like x 2
  3. "As such, Lockheed's UCLASS proposal bears a strong family resemblance to the company's RQ-170 Sentinel unmanned aircraft, which is being flown by the US Air Force."

So the Iranians will be able to bring down the entire USAF with a laptop then.

4. Prediction ... Furture wars will be fought unmanned, land, sea and air and we will enbrace it wholeheartedly as there are no human casualties. Eventually, one side will strike at real people and inflict huge casualties to the pink quishys because there was no need for counter measures. Outrage, horror and rhetoric followed by another arms race to counter the threat to human life. Now.. I didn't say when this will happen but its on the cards.

5. Just put a camera and a gun on it.

6. Yes. Yes it does. Also it means the yanks can blame blue on blues on computer error.

7. That is genuinely impressive, arguably better terrain capabilty than better wheels but are they just re-inventing the wheel?

This system had been around for a while, battle proven and cheaper.

Attached Files:

8. More to the point, does it need a catapult and arrestor wires? If so, somebody better give BAE a ring. Again.

9. I think you're missing other uses for the technology. They've managed to develop a walking robot that can go up steep terrain, stay upright on ice and not fall over when given a bloody hard kick.

10. Lovely and quiet, you'd never hear it coming.

Man is the cleverest, most cunning and most resourceful being ever to walk the planet. If there's an infantry section anywhere in the world that couldn't come up with some way of defeating that thing (on its own) within a few minutes then they're a bunch of ******* mongs.

My first thought would be some sort of deadfall trap involving a big log. A soldier would (a) probably notice it, and (b) probably jump out of the way. That thing would just end up upside down wriggling its legs.

11. Bearing in mind that's just the tip of the iceberg, what we're seeing here is no different from a ww1 biplane in the golden days of flight. What with the progress of technology getting faster I wager we'll see a far quieter and more deadly contraption within the next 30 or so years.

You'll probably be able to programme it to navigate through a number of waypoints and kill everything in sight, man might be able to kill one of them, but how about taking on 100+ of the next generation of designs?

12. I still reckon that an army of ill-equipped peasants will be able to kick their arses.

13. I don't get why people see the initial technology and dismiss it out of hand, in it's current incarnation it is only useful for carrying heavy loads around on its back. Forty years down the line? It could be upright, armoured and have some big ******* guns on it.

14. tbh in woods all you need to do is set the land on fire and try to encircle them, but if they've got a computerised weapons system and are better marksman than humans they could still do a bit of damage. You could get a production line going and send 500 after the Taleban and if they're solar/battery powered there's no need for water/food. The only thing they'd need is maintenance, it would be cheaper and more effective than trying to supply a division in the field. Robotic warriors are definitely the future. And if you lose 100 so what? Just send another 100 in. No funerals, no grief, no bad press and probably a more precise killing machine than a Tomahawk as you could programme them to engage via facial recognition.