Lockheed U2 spyplane

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by happybonzo, Feb 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I always thought that the Lockheed U2 was a design by Kelly Johnson.
    An amateur historian has been trying to tell me that it was based a WW2 German idea or design?
    Has anyone any idea that he might be right?

2. Wikipedia says Kelly Johnson, glider wings and F104 fuselage. Long interesting article. But no mention of the incident involving U2, forklift truck and U.S Sailor in North Cornwall.

CFB

3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the griffin the condor used larger wingspans to increase the range and efficiency and the america bomber was designed to go there and back so its feasible if you take the silhouette remove the wing nacelles and scale it down you might find its fairly close to the U2.

not unknown technology though, gliders or sailplanes have been about much longer and that also fits.

the body though was supposedly allready designed as the f104, they just slapped some longer wings on it.

4. Well, the Germans didn't design Starfighters, and the use of long straight wings to reach high altitude was also common knowledge (see US own B29 and other designs that pre-date later German captured experimentals). Hard to see how it can be linked to German inspiration?

5. From around 1946 everything the Americans designed probably had some German input.

6. The Germans were at the forefront of glider design but I don't think they can claim influence on evrything with a high aspect ratio wing.