Lockerbie Bomber Has Cancer

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BaggyInBlack, Oct 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Happy days...just wich Slab Murphy was feeling a little queezy in the tummy. Tam Dalyell can also suck my plumbs...tosser

12:57pm UK, Tuesday October 21, 2008

The man jailed for the Lockerbie bombing is battling "advanced stage" cancer, his has lawyer said.

Convicted bomber al Megrahi has always protested his innocence

Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi was diagnosed with prostate cancer last month and the disease has spread to other parts of his body, solicitor Tony Kelly said.

The former Libyan intelligence agent, 56, is serving a life sentence in Scotland with a minimum term of 27 years for the bombing of Pan Am flight 103 in 1988 which led to the deaths of 270 people.

Al Megrahi was convicted of the Lockerbie bombing in 2001.

He lost an appeal in 2002, but was given a fresh chance to clear his name in June last year when his case was referred back to appeal judges for a second time.

The Libyan again won a legal victory last week when judges ruled that his appeal could have a wide-ranging focus, looking beyond the issues raised suggesting he might have suffered a miscarriage of justice.

Mr Kelly said that at this stage it would be "unwise" to attempt to predict his client's life expectancy.

But he said the appeal process would go on.

"Mr al Megrahi asks that the privacy of his family is respected at this difficult time. He wishes me to make clear that the fight to overturn his wrongful conviction for the Lockerbie bombing will go on."

An international manhunt after the Pan Am 103 flight atrocity involving Scottish police and CIA investigators led to al Megrahi and co-accused al Amin Khalifa Fhimah, 46. Both denied planting the bomb.

At first Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi refused to hand them over for trial but eventually a diplomatic deal led to the trial being held in Holland, neutral territory, under Scottish law.

Dr Jim Swire, whose daughter Flora died in the outrage, called for al Megrahi's appeal to be speeded up.

"I'm not satisfied that the verdict against him is correct. It sounds to me like an unfolding human tragedy."

Former Labour MP Tam Dalyell, who is convinced of al Megrahi's innocence, said he was "very upset" at the news.
  2. Oh dear, what a pity, never mind.
  3. threads already been done.
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

5. The victims have: DEATH.