Locked out of PC

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Mar 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

This is almost certainly my fault, but I could do with some help sorting it out.

We got a new PC in the office the other day and I'm SysAdmin for it. The base Admin account is disabled and I'm the only user, out of four, with Admin rights.

I put new Local Security Policies on it last night regarding minimum password length and account lockout controls (3 attempts, admin required to unlock). After that I made one more normal user account and logged off for the night.

This morning we've found that all the accounts have been blocked, including the Admin one (mine), but not including the new one. Since I can't log in as the admin, I can't unlock the other accounts. The admin password is rejected as blocked when I use the only open account to access the account management stuff.

How am I going to get back into the PC now?!
  3. Bruno, I'd speak to your ITSO first.
  4. BrunoNoMedals

It's not DII or anything, it's just a bog-standard PC that we use standalone. I'm ringing Dell support in a mo but I don't expect a useful or speedy answer, so I'm hoping the vast knowledgebase that is ARRSE can sort me out in the mean time :)
  5. msr

msr LE

6. BrunoNoMedals

In the end I did a system restore using the installation CD. I've still no idea why the policies locked all the accounts though. I won't be doing that again until I know what's going on...
  7. msr

msr LE

Why are you 'trying things out' on a production network?

Get yourself VMWare and test these things out first.

8. If its MoD owned its the ITSO's job to know whats going on with log-ins etc. The ITSO isn't there for just Dii, he/she covers all IT, Mobiles, PDAs, etc, even every CD, floppys (in fact all IT media) that anyone in the MoD use on MoD systems or that contain MoD info.