Lockdown Tips

DAS

War Hero
"Lead–acid batteries designed for starting automotive engines are not designed for deep discharge. They have a large number of thin plates designed for maximum surface area, and therefore maximum current output, which can easily be damaged by deep discharge.

Best avoided and easily avoided, IMHO.
Didn't say you should completely discharge. Just that there's a better chance of resurrecting a lead acid, whether liquid or AGM than with Lithium Ion etc.
On the topic of chargers use sparingly. No need for constant long term connection. Connecting once in a while is ok.

anglo

LE
Not strictly 100% true. Lead acid can stand draining to zero much better than say lithium ion. If there is sufficient fluid within then it'll take a charge. Sealed lead acid shouldn't have a problem.
A good recovery technique with a lead acid that's flat is to drop it onto a hard surface from say 1 foot. Then charge. Shocking the battery like that causes deposits on the plates to fall off. Obviously this is unnecessary with an AGM battery.
Lithium batteries on the other hand really do not like draining. They get to a level then go to sleep and it can be a right pain to wake them up again.
I'm glad you don't look after my batteries, dropping batteries causes the active material in the plates
to fall out, leading to a lowing of battery capacity, leaving a battery to discharge leads to sulfation

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
"Lead–acid batteries designed for starting automotive engines are not designed for deep discharge. They have a large number of thin plates designed for maximum surface area, and therefore maximum current output, which can easily be damaged by deep discharge.

Best avoided and easily avoided, IMHO.
Not many cars have traditional lead-acid batteries now, most are lead-calcium, AGM or Lithium, low temperature is the biggest cause of loss of starting capacity, frequent short journeys or lots of 'stuck in traffic' high load / low recharge are the next worst enemy - and usually the cause of 'autostop not working' type complaints (it is working, it's protecting your battery by not stopping the engine!).
My own car has a lead-calcium battery and doesn't get a lot of use I've got a solar charger panel that I leave on the dash to give it a bit of a trickle charge. Some batteries can be awkward to recover, the best way i've found is to connect it in parallel with a charged battery and then connect the charger to them (the charger needs to be of a specific type for the battery, or switchable), this gives a higher inrush current than the charger alone is capable of and then charges the two batteries 'as one', assuming their capacity is the same or similar. It's also worth mentioning that if you're replacing a car battery, it needs to be like-for-like in technology and capacity and in most cases the battery management module / monitor needs to be reset.
Also, don't assume that an alternator output of 12.6VDC means the alternator is knackered, they're far more complicated than they used to be, charge voltage varies and can be up to 15.8VDC and as low as 12.3VDC, mostly they are connected to the engine management system by a Local Interconnect Network which in turn controls the charge voltage (charge current is determined by connected load).
If you do suffer a flat or discharged battery, it is much better & safer to connect it to another car by jump leads and run the donor car to charge the flat battery for ~20 mins then disconnect the donor car before starting the one with the (previously) flat battery, this is to prevent 'spiking' electronic modules.
If you get odd fault notifications after a flat battery, disconnecting the battery -ve for a few minutes can often clear these, make sure the battery has enough charge in it first though.

Oh, how I wish I was back at work!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
FB_IMG_1586450413838.jpg

Sit on your settee looking out the window to the West and have a glass of Portuguese Monte da Vaqueeira , or two(or maybe a couple more ) … (Bought in Lidl Albufeira for 2€ a bottle) and pretend you are sitting on the balcony at the restaurant on the campsite watching the sun set over the trees

taking into consideration the same wine was costing you 2.50 a glass and although it was always a beautiful sunset it was always freezing by that time, then you can reminisce about your holiday before it abruptly ended in March and you scampered back to the UK one step ahead of co-vid 19 in Portugal , Spain and France , before self isolating yourself for two weeks , before the fecking government decided to lock us all down for another 3 weeks and potentially another 12

Lockdown tip - if you go to your local tip, prepare yourself for some A-grade fcukwittery.

Just back from this weeks shopping trip, which I combined with a trip to the tip, taking some of our rubbish and some of the neighbours. They're both vulnerable, so it's only the neighbourly thing to do.

Got to the tip to find a bloke on the gate. Not seen that before. So he flags me down. "What have you got?" he asks. "Just some general rubbish", sez I.

"We're only allowing essential rubbish to be tipped, but seeing as you're here, I'll let you through this time."

"Cheers mate you cnut", quoth I.

Now can any one tell me exactly what "essential rubbish" is please, because I'll be royally fcuked if I can think of what it might be. Alternatively, let's turn it on it's head and can someone tell me what "non-essential rubbish" is?

It would be wrong to think that the bloke on the gate was getting off on his newfound power but the quick glimpse I got of his name badge did seem to say "A. Hitler" on it. Fcuking council tawts.

Lockdown tip - if you go to your local tip, prepare yourself for some A-grade fcukwittery.

Just back from this weeks shopping trip, which I combined with a trip to the tip, taking some of our rubbish and some of the neighbours. They're both vulnerable, so it's only the neighbourly thing to do.

Got to the tip to find a bloke on the gate. Not seen that before. So he flags me down. "What have you got?" he asks. "Just some general rubbish", sez I.

"We're only allowing essential rubbish to be tipped, but seeing as you're here, I'll let you through this time."

"Cheers mate you cnut", quoth I.

Now can any one tell me exactly what "essential rubbish" is please, because I'll be royally fcuked if I can think of what it might be. Alternatively, let's turn it on it's head and can someone tell me what "non-essential rubbish" is?

It would be wrong to think that the bloke on the gate was getting off on his newfound power but the quick glimpse I got of his name badge did seem to say "A. Hitler" on it. Fcuking council tawts.
Essential rubbish?! Geez who knows, personally I am still trying to work out the recycling rules...

Top tip

When your wife is having a virtual coffee morning with the rest of her friends from the coven , shut the conservatory door..... they don't half talk a load of shite

It's essential I get rid of it to avoid pests in my home.

But then our 'recycling centres' have been shut for weeks.

Pikeys seem to get away with essential fly tipping, so just walt as a pikey

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Lockdown tips #18

Enjoy a weekly jog?

Do it on Thursday, but aim to finish your run about 8.05pm - that way you can feel like Rocky on the home straight with everyone "cheering" you on.

You can thank me later :thumright:

kimmi851

War Hero
I was told that to keep my sex life alive while isolating away from my partner I should embrace role playing games online. I think I got it wrong because I have played 15 games of dungeons and dragons and the only thing anyone is interested in is my 20 sided dice rolls.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It's essential I get rid of it to avoid pests in my home.

But then our 'recycling centres' have been shut for weeks.

Same here, and it's buggered up a potential garage clear out.

Anyone want knackered trampoline and 3 non functioning lawnmowers?

Bored stiff? Wrist aching? Run out of Kleenex? Want something different to do?

Download Wikipedia (23Gb)

Well it’s taken me three years but being in lockdown has enabled me to finish my first novel.

Day of the Jackal, loved it. that Frederick Forsyth is some author

Don't leave home. Inshallah.

'A woman fell 35 meters to her death while posing near the edge of a cliff for a photo to celebrate the end of a coronavirus lockdown.

'Olesya Suspitsyna, 31, originally from Kazakhstan, was killed on a at the popular Duden Park in the city of Antalya, Turkey, on Sunday. It is a spot loved by tourists who describe it as the “perfect place to take selfies”. She and a friend reportedly went for a walk at the site, known for its dramatic scenery and waterfalls, following the end of a stay-at-home order in the city, The Sun reports.'

Latest Threads