Lockdown Hobbies

Old files are cheap at boot sales or scrappies. Grind down to shape and temper, then sharpen and mount the handle/scales. Might be able to turn out a nice little nail cleaner to go with it from an old hacksaw blade.

My third and fourth attempts at knifes made from files during lockdown using YouTube videos as a guide and DIY tools.

knife2.jpg
knife3.JPG

The files were originally farrier's rasps which I purchased at a car boot for £3 each. I cut the shape out with an angle grinder. finessed it with a domestic sander, and made the holes with a electric drill.

IMG_0306.JPG

I then made a small holding jig out of wood to cut in the bevels. That was the most time consuming element - about six hours, so the second knife had the bevels cut in with an angle grinder, hence the curved shape.

IMG_0351.JPG

The handles, or more properly scales are oak, a beam of which I was given a year or so back when an old barn in Norfolk was demolished. The chap I found to saw it into planks reckoned it was at least 200 years old, and by the nails, possibly from a Naval ship.

OAK copy.JPG

Fort the second knife, instead of varnishing it I finished it with Danish oil, which gives it a nice rich sheen.

My bench mark was weather they could slice up an onion well, and they seem to. However as they are made from carbon steel, rather than stainless they are prone to discolouration rather quickly and need properly cleaning and drying after use.

About 3 working days effort spread over a couple of weeks for each knife.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Did you try oil tempering them? I've done this in the past, heating the metal up to a bright Orange and then quenching in an oil bath. After polishing the metal, it seems to hold a better edge.

Did you try oil tempering them? I've done this in the past, heating the metal up to a bright Orange and then quenching in an oil bath. After polishing the metal, it seems to hold a better edge.
I tempered them and quenched in salt water. Planning to use oil on the next one.

mm

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads