Lock The Bitch Up

Awol said:
Ask yourself this question, would you risk a firing squad to smuggle cannabis (cannabis ffs!) into the one state that has executed more drug smugglers than any other on earth? Answer - no.

Now ask yourself this question, if you were an multimillionaire Australian drugs lord, what strategy would you use to get drugs into Indonesia on a daily basis? Answer - the only regular way is to nobble someone in baggage handling, and how difficult would that be with the money that's involved?

If she's not innocent, she's certainly not guilty beyond reasonable doubt. The judge is more interested in preserving his reputation (500 guilty out of 500 cases?), and she's the hapless victim.
Amen to that!

Have to say that I think she's innocent too. The graphic warnings which every traveller sees on the aircraft and those on display in the terminals at the three airports I've been to in the country are enough to make you gag, and frankly, the idea of risking a customs check with 9lbs of the stuff in your bag is asinine. I would imagine that that's the same size as nine bags of sugar - it's a lot! You would have to be completely tonto to do it. Furthermore, it's a commercial quantity, not the amount one would carry for personal use for a few weeks in Bali; I would definitely suspect airside staff.

As I understand it there is no evidence that baggage handlers planted the stuff.

If merely claiming that bagged handers planted drugs was enough to secure a not guilty verdict then all drug smugglers have to do it to put the stuff in thier hold baggage and then claim it was planted if they get caught.

What the woman needs, if her claims are true, is evidence. Since it was alledgedly baggage handlers in Australia that did it then that evidence can only be procured, if it exists, by the Australian police.

I don't think the verdict would have been any different if the she had arrived in Oz under the same circumstances.

If she was so innocent, why didn't she want customs to look into her bag? If she was so innocent, why in the hell was she acting so nervous?

This chick, like hundreds of others, got sucked into it, by a boyfriend or "friends." A fast way to make a couple of thousand dollars, just like her other friends did. They got away with it and she got caught. Then come up with some excuse of, "Its not mine."

I can't count on my fingers and toes, the number of people I have arrested, for drugs, which I found in their pants pockets, when they were wearing the pants. The first word out of their mouths, "These pants aren't mine. I woke up, grabbed the pants off the floor, put them on, and walked out of the house." Gee, your such a lucky fellow. Just happened to grab the ONLY pair of pants on the floor which fit, right? Answer: "Yep."

If you guys ACTUALLY believe her story, I have some beach front property in Arizona to sell you.

Several things are extremely suspicious about this whole thing, not least of which is the Corby creature herself.

The timings of the event and recent Australian/Indonesian interactions (particularly the RAN and CG), the fact it is Indonesia involved, the fact it is an Australian national, the fact there is now an investigation into a group of baggage handlers at KSA that are currently "assisting police with inquiries", the statements from Indonesian political persons about how "Australia needs to keep its comments to itself regarding Indonesia and East Timor and look to its own problems", the ridiculous media hype about "Our Chapelle" - just to name a few. It has been on the news here pretty much every day and when the other nine idiots had the stuff strapped to them it just made it worse, as did the now infamous Moose/Camel suit incident.

There are ongoing political, territorial, and oil issues between Australia and Indonesia (I will not get into the people smuggling, illegal fishing and terrorist issues at this point) and these are also part of this to a degree. This is all far bigger than some girl and a surfboard bag with some mull.

I was personally not happy about the death penalty option being mooted as I was not thoroughly convinced enough of her guilt (or innocence) to see her shot because of this, so the jail term was (to me anyway) a better result. At least with a jail sentence you can be released, harder after successful firing squad job.

Phil306 said:
If she was so innocent, why didn't she want customs to look into her bag? If she was so innocent, why in the hell was she acting so nervous?

This chick, like hundreds of others, got sucked into it, by a boyfriend or "friends." A fast way to make a couple of thousand dollars, just like her other friends did. They got away with it and she got caught. Then come up with some excuse of, "Its not mine."

I can't count on my fingers and toes, the number of people I have arrested, for drugs, which I found in their pants pockets, when they were wearing the pants. The first word out of their mouths, "These pants aren't mine. I woke up, grabbed the pants off the floor, put them on, and walked out of the house." Gee, your such a lucky fellow. Just happened to grab the ONLY pair of pants on the floor which fit, right? Answer: "Yep."

If you guys ACTUALLY believe her story, I have some beach front property in Arizona to sell you.

Would you be confident in the 'justice' meted out by Indonesian courts if it was your daughter in the dock?

This beachfront property, is it nice? :wink:

My daughter wouldn't be stupid enough to smuggle drugs anywhere, let alone Indonesia. And yes, if she was that stupid, that would be her fault.

Another major problem with society these days, mommies and daddies bailing there juvenile delinquents out of shit, instead of letting them face it. Maybe they would grow up to be less of a burden on society, if people learned to take responsibilty for THEIR actions and not blaming everyone else for what they do wrong.

The woman is guilty. Plain and simple. The only reason people make such a big deal out of it, is because its marijuana and "no big deal." Too damn bad for her. She smuggled it, she was convicted of it, learn to step up and take your punishment.

Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time...

Phil306 said:
My daughter wouldn't be stupid enough to smuggle drugs anywhere, let alone Indonesia. And yes, if she was that stupid, that would be her fault.

Another major problem with society these days, mommies and daddies bailing there juvenile delinquents out of s***, instead of letting them face it. Maybe they would grow up to be less of a burden on society, if people learned to take responsibilty for THEIR actions and not blaming everyone else for what they do wrong.

The woman is guilty. Plain and simple. The only reason people make such a big deal out of it, is because its marijuana and "no big deal." Too damn bad for her. She smuggled it, she was convicted of it, learn to step up and take your punishment.

Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time...
Loads of presumptions there Phil. You don't know she is guilty just as I don't know she is innocent. What we both do know however, is that the trial was a travesty. By our standards, with the prosecution that full of holes, they would never have even got to court, let alone secured a conviction. Without a fair trial, your opinions are worthless, as are mine.

Back in the early 80s a German friend of mine got framed in the Philippines (during the corrupt Marcos regime). During this time he spent about 5 years travelling the world, with the centre on S-E Asia (he is a chef by profession and whenever he ran out of money, he would work for a few months in some local upper class hotel or restaurant until he had enough saved to continue his trip).
He visited Manila and left his pack in his hotel room to go sight seeing. In the middle of the night his door got kicked in and police went straight to a place were a parcel full of pot was hidden (apparently by hotel employees involved in the racket). He got arrested and at the police station the cops gave him the choice of either parting with all the money he had with him (several thousand dollars) or to get charged and spend the next 10 years in a Filipino chain gang, building roads in the jungle. He handed them the mooney and got released. Fortunately he had most of his money lodged with the German embassy in Bangkok, Thailand, so he managed to get some sent to him so that he could get a flight ticket to get out of the country.
He told me that he assumed that the hotel staff were working in cooperation with some drug dealers and corrupt cops. All of them would get some of the extorted money, while the dope would go back to the hotel staff to get the next sucker. They apparently also told the cops when he was in his room and where the dope was hidden.

My friend never went back to the Philippines for the next 15 years, though he was travelling a lot to Thailand and Indonesia, until he met a Flipino woman in Berlin, whom he eventually married. Then (long after Marcos was deposed) he went to Manila to visit his wife´s family, but staying with a local family gives you additional protection.

BTW, I read warnings about such tricks in several travel guides about the Philippines from this period.

Jan

If you read Proffesor Alfread Macoy's Book "THe Politics of Heroin in South East Asia", written over 30 years ago and so somewhat out of date he makes a comment, That all Police and administrations in this part of the world are corrupt. Still true but there is reason to belive that matters are improving.
I know quite a senior official at UK embassy in BKK and he says that now there is a core of senior police officers who are slowly cleaning up the system, promoting Good officers and not connected officers.
To his day you are advised never to buy dope/hash from Tuk Tuk drivers in Thailand for they will then inform the police and you will get busted.
I live on modest means, I have enough, but every Thai I know considers me a rich man, or how could I live without a job. The local myth is that all forigners are rich.
You have too much money, as one sales girl said to me when I was buying new electrical fittings for my condo.
The concept that a national government would go overboard to help an ordinary citizen caught and now connvicted of carring drugs is beyond the ordinary mans understanding. Yes if it was a minister or very high up national they would understand.
Understand why they had been caught and why the sysytem would help, gov ministers in this part of the world have been caught out.
I do think this girl will have to do some time and then get a transfer home to serve out the rest of her sentance.
With all the talk and current practice on airline security I am now looking forward to the Austrailian Government stateing that it's easy to place 9 pounds, nine big bags of suger as one poster put it, into anyones bags at Austrailian airports. Probably have to wait until King George admits that X thousand illegals walk into Fortess USA every week and without any Biometrick passports or any passports at all.
john

luke said:
If she was Indonesian that poll would of been reversed :twisted:
I'm thinking'...yeah. :?

Judging by the piccy, she can't be much of a beautician. Her mother looks like a hard-faced old crone and is no advertisement for the daughter's ability with powders and potions. As indeed is the fact she got caught with a few pounds of powders and potions in her carry on.... :twisted:

Drug trafficking is a pernicious evil and it is oneof those cases where it is better that one innocent (yeah right) aussie trout gets the full monte, than ten guilty sods get off on a technicality. Encourager les autres...

Regardless of anyone's individual pro or anti-drug stance this situation was ridiculous.

The Indonesian Court system in these cases requires that the accused prove their innocence, rather than the prosecution prove the persons guilt.

Guilty or innoncent - either way she is a casualty of the farcical, hypocritical and almost total failure that is the so-called worldwide "War on Drugs"

what a fecking joke!

E

error_unknown

Pompey_Jock said:
The Indonesian Court system in these cases requires that the accused prove their innocence, rather than the prosecution prove the persons guilt.
To be fair, nobody's denying the dope was in her luggage: she was bringing the luggage into the country, and the dope was in it. On the face of it, that's pretty cut and dried and it seems to me the onus is on her to prove that she didn't put it in there. Referring to the fact that some baggage handlers are being investigated back in Oz doesn't prove anything, it simply suggests a possible alternative explanation.

Many cuntries in this part of the world use the Nepolionic code of Justice as opposed to the British Adverserial system.
The Police investigate and say who is guilty and they get prosecuted and must defend themselves. Sounds like the old Wheel the guilty B'stard in Sgt Major, that I know.
9 pounds I still prefer the nine bags of suger not an insignificante ammount.
john

Does anybody here think that locking somebody up for 20 years is a reasonable sentence for what is only a bit of blow? Can the drug trade EVER be stopped? I think not. The spams spend millions of dollars trying to de-foliate etc in Colombia but is there any lack of cocaine in the states.I suspect not. I realise this is the start of another thread but there
has to be a time when it just becomes unreasonable and unenforceable to stop people taking drugs.

Carry on luggage, surely by its very name, that would suggest that the person carries it on themselves. Anytime I go to an airport, I tend to keep my 'carry-on' with me at all times! Baggage handlers did it my arrse! If she is innocent (yeah right!) then she should be locked up for being incredibly stupid!

Makes no difference to me whether she's innocent or guilty. But if the Indos have nothing to hide, why would'nt they fingerprint the poly bags? We were using such technology a century ago in court cases - seems to me the developing world adopts the technology it can benefit monetarily from, and conveniently overlooks it when it may rock the boat. Not to mention source testing the 9lbs of grass, as I mentioned earlier.
Faced with this kind of corruption and incompetence, it is understandable that the Aussies are up in arms.

Growler has a point.
You aren't going to stop people consuming Drugs, just as prohibition of alcohol never worked and unprotectected sex is common as FCUK (aids).
I am not clever enough to have the answer. String up the MAJOR dealers ? but as the big drug offensive in my part of the wold showed only the low level dealers get it, never the ones with political power who run it.
john