Location or what this may be from

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Newjersey mark, Jan 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Found this in an old family album. No idea where it is from...
    great uncle 40.jpg
  2. Hitler Youth Sports Day? :?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Germany
  4. I think it's from an old family album.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

It's a Nazi v Jews football match. The Germans have home advantage.

• Like Like x 4
  6. The war?
  7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

That would be "when" not "where." Try to keep up
  8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Germany, probably on the North German Plain. The buildings in the distance remind me of Prussia/Brandenburg, for example.
    Mixed mil and civ spectators.
    MG 34 on Lafette 34 tripod, I think. Others may spot a particular type to give a later date.
    Sport or pass-out parade? Infantry?
    I'd guess at late 30s during the re-armament.
  9. The question 'Where' cannot be known. 'Probably north Germany' is as good as it gets, it could even be Kent in the 1990s at a re-enactment gig! Looks a bit like Detling show ground.
  10. Hmmm.. if it was cricket would they be playing for the ashes,
  11. That cantilever canopy in the background must give a good clue.
  12. I'd guess closer to summer, but that's a guess based on the angle of the shadows and the absence of any winter clothing.

The flag is the 1935-38 design, the bands of white black white being in equal proportion.

Absolutely no idea of where, other than next to a sports field that has its perimeter roughly aligned along the cardinal points and maybe barrack blocks to the north. I could add that the nearer stand looks as though it has been there for some time, maybe 10+ years while the distant one looks less than a year old. So a WW1 era barracks that has seen some upgrading.
  13. Check the back of the photo for the studio that developed it and date if there is one. As others have said, looks like a passing out parade where the oath is sworn in front of the flag and next to the weapons. From the weapons, looks like an infantry unit.

Attached Files:

14. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Fair points, puttees. I'd gone for the trees at extreme right, which look a bit bare and the greatcoats by the steps left. Though the shadows do show the sun at about 50-60 degrees elevation.

If we go for a parade, these tend to be an hour or so either side of midday, usually mid-morning to allow for prep, spectators and some sort of 'do' afterwards and the afternoon off.