Location of Falklands grave?

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by Sapper531, Oct 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My best buddy, Cpl McIlvenny RE, was killed in the Falklands in '82. My son may be going to the Falklands as part of the world shearing circuit (no sheep jokes please!) and if he's buried out there, I'd like my son to say Hi! for me.
    I am having huge difficulty in finding out where he's buried. Can anyone help?

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

These chaps should be able to point you in the right direction, even if they don't look after the graves themselves:

3. http://www.palacebarracksmemorialgarden.org/Falkland%20Islands.htm

This may be of use as he is named on the memorial. There are several War Grave cemeteries on the Falkland Islands. It is likely he will be buried close to where he fell, i.e. Goose Green, San Carlos etc. His name will also be on the war memorial in Port Stanley.
    Good luck in your search.
  4. Hi mate. Contacting the South Atlantic Medal Association might be your best bet, their website is http://www.sama82.org/. Failing that, you could try 20 Field Squadron at 20 Field Squadron, 36 Engineer Regiment, Invicta Park, Maidstone, Kent ME14 2NA or the Unit Welfare Officer at welfareoffice.36engr@virgin.net or by phone on 01622 767 240.

I do recall that there are quite a few memorials on the cliffs near Fitzroy, looking out over the place where the Sir Galahad went down and he well be mentioned on one of them. As for his actual grave, hopefully one of the above might know!

There's a photo of your mucker here:

5. Sapper, I'm heading down there in a few weeks, if I can find a grave or memorial I will grab a few photos for you.
  6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Cpl McIlvenny was killed on RFA Gallahad. A number of the dead were not recovered from the wreck, which is now a war grave.
  7. Hi
    Will tryy to found photos i have of Sapper Hill

8. hi mate was down there as part of FI eng sqn in 2002 i am almost positive your mates name is on the memorial on sapper hill which we looked after as part of our job down there will dig out my pics and look if i find his name will let you know for deffo

the memorial at sapper hill is off the main stanley to MPA rd and ask any of the engrs that are there and they will point you in correct direction it is as memorials go one of the better ones.
  9. Two of Sapper hill attached

Attached Files:

• 84.jpg
      File size:
      2.7 KB
    • 86.jpg
      File size:
      2.4 KB
  10. Thanks for that, have you got them any bigger that you could email? Couldn't see any names on the close-up, too fuzzy!
  11. wILL pm them ans a few more i have over the next couple of days for you

12. Cpl McIlvenny's name is among those inscribed on the memorial at San Carlos.

The memorial is dedicated as follows:

Alas, there is, therefore, no grave to visit.

Sapper531, I took some photos of the inscriptions with this thread in mind. If you'd like them, PM me.
  13. Here is the relevant plaque from the Liberation Monument in Port Stanley.

Attached Files:

14. I was almost positive his name was on the Fitroy Memorial, have a pic somewhere back in the U.K. will dig it out next time I'm back...
  15. Two other Sappers have their names inscribed at San Carlos.

They are:

SSgt J Prescott CGM
    Spr WD Tarbard