Locating the enemy - why wouldnt this work?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by gobbyidiot, Jul 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I may be repeating myself - it wouldn't be the first time.

I think I'm right in saying vehicles in Northern Ireland used to have screens either side to record the passage of a bullet over the top - a screen inside showed an arrow, pretty simple technology.

The footage from Afghanistan shows lengthy engagements where nobody is entirely sure where the enemy is, and small patrols with large numbers of ANA can be pinned down for ages.

Suppose you had a thin mat - say twenty feet unrolled, with two sensors at the edges. A processor knows the difference between the two edges, and the difference between two sections not directly opposite one another. Virtually everything being fired at the troops is 7.62X39, which has a known muzzle velocity.

So you throw the trap across the middle of the position. F*ckwit fires a round over. From the recorded velocity and initial velocity you know the distance, to within a couple of metres, and from the angle between the cells it crosses you know the direction. With GPS integrated you could bring down fire bang on.

Problems? Different calibres, but that's solvable.

Their response would be to fanny about by taking powder out, or putting a bit extra in, which would causemassive problems, or to move, which would be even better.

2. Already done mate. The yanks have deployed 'Boomerang', which is an array of sensors on a vehicle-mounted mast used to monitor the time of arrival of the 'bang and crack' to each sensor. and then provide the operator with a bearing down which the shot was fired.

The more accurate system, manufactured by Shotspotter Inc involves deploying a series of sensors across an area (10-16 per sq mile). These are capable of triangulating the precise origin of the shot, often down to just a couple of feet. Sensors from shotspotter can also be deployed n UAV to provide a similar result to Boomerang when used on its own, or can enlarge the coverage area of an existing deployment.

Edited for mong spelling

3. But could they make something that could be carried (I know, something else to carry) by a foot patrol?

At the moment (it seems from the coverage) there's generally a lot of doubt where the enemy is.

4. Already there. Shotspotter have man-portable arrays that are worn by each soldier (they are walkman-sized). The devices communicate with each other, GPS timing etc and as they move through the area are able to provide a lat/lon on a firer's position, calculate blue-on-blue actions when more than one unit is so equipped. If you have any specific questions PM me

5. Hell's bells. So, basically, i) the MOD don't think it works, or ii) they (for God knows what reason) won't pay for it.

It would probably save a lot of civilians as well.

I wonder if they ultimately could take the humans out of the loop - save as carriers for the sensors. The kit talks to the guns and air support, so the people on the ground don't even have to think about it.

6. Oh, it works. They may one day pay for it. It would certainly help protecting forward bases, and provide reassurance to villagers etc

It also works when attached to a UAV. Couple of those bad boys suitably armed could spoil someone's day without ground forces being put at excessive risk.

7. What happens in a blue on blue then? The Arty shell both lots also?

8. Imagine you had an ND (unprofessional of course!) and an automatic system immediately DFd you and slotted you within seconds! :cry:

9. I believe automated systems are not used as a result of this risk.

The Blue on Blue facility is capable of detecting when a shot was fired from one section into another. This is still in it's early phases

10. Teach you to learn your drills.

11. There's always a negative :roll:

So reading here that there IS such a system, is it in use extensively in theatre ? No need to give away Opsec in any replies though.

12. Not extensively, but it has been used 'in theatre'

The technology is available to UK forces, and could deliver reliable, real time intelligence