Locals show respect

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by chrisg46, Sep 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

An illustration of a small local town showing its respect to our fallen. For the record, this happens for every repatriation in Wootton Bassett.

Last post

2. Brilliant!! It's a shame not everyone had the same respect. RIP Lads.

3. That brought a lump to the throat. Well done. RIP lads.

4. Gulp!

RIP

5. I think i need to dust tomorrow.

RIP

6. In the link it says 100 people lined the road. Considering Wootton Bassett has an average population of 16.000 i'd say it wasn't an 'illustration of a small local town showing its respect to our fallen' but a very poor turnout which in this day and age isn't a surprise at all.

7. In the link it says 100 people lined the road. Considering Wootton Bassett has an average population of 16.000 i'd say it wasn't an 'illustration of a small local town showing its respect to our fallen' but a very poor turnout which in this day and age isn't a surprise at all

At least they turn out, been to Remberance Services where very few people turn out. Thanks Guys

8. I have just given the police officers involved a chuck-up using the feedback facility on the Wiltshire Police website. Perhaps others might like to do the same?

9. Didnt imagine ever doing it but just left my thanks...

10. Just gave them a thanks, again never thought I would do that, me and police dont normally see eye to eye.

11. Cow

Cow LE

Good to see that a few can still turn out to pay their respects. Every little gesture means a lot to those who know and care.

12. What s/he said.

13. Good effort by those that bothered,b0ll0cks to the one's that didn't

14. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

I was actually passing through bassett today when the latest repatriation passed through. The police shut down the high street in both directions five minutes or so before the 4 hearses arrived, and bassett high street is normally VERY busy. As the procession came up the hill, all pedestrian traffic also paused, hats removed, heads bowed and eyes dabbed. The line up may have been only a 100 or so, but there was a good thousand or so in the high street itself, and they all stopped what they were doing and paid respect. There was not a sound, no voices no car horns.
    I spoke to the local town crier afterwards, and found out that it is not widely advertised within the town that this happens which i think would explain the low turn out. Bearing also in mind in was mid afternoon on a wednesday, even before the school kids were let out.

15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Well done to Wiltshire Con & the locals of Basset.
    And thank you.