Local Rank

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Cavman, Apr 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Its a strange world but yes, there are still some seniors who dont really understand the local rank system and feel as though they are being dealt a raw deal. Having read through the majority of the topics in this forum it is very apparent that there are quite a few knowledgeable types here and I am hoping they can give me the info I seek, (or at least know someone who can). So to my question, What are the legalities on local rank, ie. how long can you hold it for before another course of action must be taken. I ask this for a very good reason, a colleague of mine recently left the forces after serving 22, however for the last 5 of his 22 he held local. Is this the norm.

2. As far as I am aware local rank is given in stints of up to 6 months. This can be done twice (2x6 months) where after MCM are obliged to either promote said person to acting rank or post in a soldier of that rank to that LSN.

3. You'll occasionally find that within TA units, the NRPS are local Sergeant/Staff Sergeant to provide them with a little more rank to back them up in their dealings with Regular/TA.

In the TA DROPS Regiments, there was a push for the Regular Corporal DROPS instructors to be given local rank of Sergeant for similar reasons - it also would give them access to the Mess, which is quite important when you consider that almost all the Permanent Staff are SNCO level.

As Disco says, local rank should be reviewed after six months, but it might depend on the actual unit - is this is a case where the CO said "I want this man to be a local xxxxx" and the man in question is wearing it without anything in writing?

4. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

You are confusing local rank with substitution pay here!

5. Thanks for the feedback but lets see if I cant get some sort of definitive answer. The facts are that local rank (local being unpaid) was held for 5 years. Is this course of action allowed ?

6. Isnt substitution pay (pay of higher rank) just a short term measure which negates the need to actually promote someone? And yes it is 6 months and can be done twice.

7. slightlyoff topic. How long can someone hold down say a SSgts slot as a Sgt? (The person I know is TA and held the post for a year)

8. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Substitution pay and local rank are not mutually exclusive. Local rank can be held indefinitely (sorry, to whoever asked). There are rules now on substitution pay about how long it should be paid and suchlike - came out from DM(A) about 2 years ago.

Examples:

1. Your immediate superior goes into hospital for a month - you are entitled to substitution pay (if you are doing his job as well as your own).

2. Your unit is gapping a Sgt post due to undermanning (Let's say Drum Maj for example) - a Cpl can be given local rank to fulfill this post.

As I've said, local rank and substitution pay are not mutually exclusive - however if, in the case of a unit gapping a post, then the establishment must show this vacancy. Units can and do play around with the establishment table and I have personally seen a local Sgt not get substitution pay (and he was the Drum Maj), simply because the SNCO who was on establishment in this post was actually being employed as the Mess Manager.

9. Substitution Pay can only be given for a maximum of 6 months and then you must either promote the soldier in question, or stop the SUPA.

Why anyone would want local rank is beyond me sometimes, higher mess bills and no more money to pay for them, or is that cause I am Scottish !! :p

10. Local Rank, as Soldier_Why said, is held indefinitely at the discretion of (technically) the Brigade Commander or local equivalent, but in practice at the discretion of the CO (I've never known Bde to either reject a request or even to expect the request in writing - a call to DCOS usually suffices).

An additional point is that it lapses automatically should a holder of Local Rank be charged with an offence under the Army Act 1955.

IF

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We used to moan on ops and stints like the falklands garrison where we were understrength on cpls and had l/cpls doing the Inf sect cmdrs job. We were asked in turn to be sect 2i/c all of us bar one asked if there was any money in it, we werent interested in the tape, the short answer was "there are cpls and lcpls on strength in parent unit to establishment so no money". Our reply was "send the remfs and canteen cowboys out with a pack and rifle then!"

12. Reminds me of the phrase "Local, unpaid, unwanted!" :D

13. Oi!! there is only one of me :wink: i done my stints when it was still proper bennyland..

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oi!! there is only one of me i done my stints when it was still proper bennyland..

More salt and pepper ontable 3 cpl!

Was still a Bn posting when I got there in 85, luckily enough MPA was built but no accom so in & out on Jumbos and portacabins at Kelly's.