Local Infantry Regiment - Donegal

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Adjutant, Jun 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If I was a young lad at the outbreak of war in 1914 living in Donegal Town, Co Donegal, which Infantry Regiment would I have joined?

Adjt

2. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers ?

3. The Royal Ulster Rifles I'd have thought

4. _Chimurenga_

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers = counties of Donegal, Londonderry, Tyrone and Fermanagh in Ireland, with its garrison depot located at Omagh

Royal Ulster rifles = Antrim, Down and Louth, with its garrison depot located at Belfast

5. I would guess the Skins in Omagh (Royal Inskilling Fusiliers) but in practice recruits were sent where they were needed so it is possible that he was capbadged differently.

6. Royal Ulster Rifles was the re-named Royal Irish Rifles after the partition of Ireland, they then went on to fight in WW2 and Korea.

The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers would have recruited from Donegal during WW1

7. I addressed your speculative question to a very old family friend who was born in that area, albeit Creeslough.

His fairly instant response was either (1) The Inniskilling Fusillers or (2) The Connaught Rangers. He joined 'The Skins' but some of his boyhood friends had gone for the latter in the choice of infantry units.

8. I used to work with an ex-Einniskillen Fusilier of 1950's vintage, he was from Liverpool! 8O

Edit to add, depends what religion he was I think protestant was Royal Einniskillen Fusiliers and Catholic was Royal Irish Fusiliers.

9. _Chimurenga_

I suppose the Irish Guards were also an option, depending on your height.

10. Royal Ulster Rifles were still called that in WW2 and Korea

11. Royal Irish Rifles up until partition in 1922, after that the were titled Royal Ulster Rifles.

12. _Chimurenga_

The county recruiting areas in 1914 would be something like this -

Connaught Rangers (depot @ Galway) = Galway. Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon, & Sligo.

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (depot @ Omagh) = Donegal, Londonderry, Tyrone, & Fermanagh.

Prince of wales Leinster Regt. (depot @ Crinkill) = Longford, Meath, Westmeath, Offaly/Kings, & Laois/Queens.

Royal Dublin Fusilers (depot @ Naas) = Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow, & Carlow.

Royal Irish Regiment (depot @ Clonmel) = Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford, & Kilkenny.

Royal Irish Rifles (depot @ Belfast) = Antrim, Down, & Louth.

Royal Munster Fusiliers (depot @ Tralee) = Clare, Cork, Kerry, & Limerick.

Royal Irish Fusiliers (depot @ Armagh Town) = Armagh, Monahan, & Cavan.

13. My great uncle was a skin - he was from Cavan Town - a stones throw from Omagh (if the wind was in the right direction! 8) )

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Havent you got that back to front?

15. The Skins. Granddad was one and he was from Newry.