Local councils now spying on you from up above

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/7996753.stm

A Cambridgeshire council has resorted to flying over people's homes with thermal imaging equipment to alert them to the amount of energy being wasted.

Peterborough City Council organised the flight over the city's urban corridor from Hampton to Glinton as part of its "Your footprint counts" campaign.

It wants residents to see how much heat their homes waste and how they can save money by installing more insulation.

The data was gathered in March and will be available online later this year.

Councillor Wayne Fitzgerald, cabinet member for the environment, said: "An average household pays £380 per year for heat that escapes through poorly-insulated walls and lofts and ill-fitting windows.

"So we hope this thermal study will show residents how much heat they are wasting and how they can save money and reduce their carbon dioxide emissions by installing better roof insulation."
I wonder how many homes were reported to the police, you know just in case they were doing something illegal. :roll:

Councils have been spying on us from above for years. There used to be bi-annual surveys to check on illegally built structures which were not visible from the road.

The question in this case might be; is this a good way to spend taxpayers' money?

Well I've written to my MP once regarding the use of taxpayers money to fund their lifestyles and received no response, I'm afraid if I write to them again if they were to do that here they would use the full power of anti-terrorism laws to check if I threw out a bean tin in my food waste bin!

Vampire. You are probably right. In September my council is bringing on the wheelie bins with separate boxes for food and tins. The bins will be followed by the Talibin enforcement officers ( on a good salary and pension). if they think that I am washing my cat food tins out they have another think comeing.

local government really is more out of control than national govt.

vvaannmmaann said:
And the "carbon footprint" of the aircraft used for this is......?
<an official writes>
"This will have only a minor effect on the carbon footprint as the surveys will take place while the aircraft is involved in other important council tasks.
Thes taskss may include, non-exclusively;
Getter Aldermen to important local functions such as swimming pool or fete openings.
Ditto fact finding visits to similar urban areas in Europe and elsewhere.
Locating undesirable elements.
Letting the public know we care."

PE4rocks said:
vvaannmmaann said:
And the "carbon footprint" of the aircraft used for this is......?
<an official writes>
"This will have only a minor effect on the carbon footprint as the surveys will take place while the aircraft is involved in other important council tasks.
Thes taskss may include, non-exclusively;
Getter Aldermen to important local functions such as swimming pool or fete openings.
Ditto fact finding visits to similar urban areas in Europe and elsewhere.
Locating undesirable elements.
Letting the public know we care."
Thats all ok then!

rockpile said:
Vampire. You are probably right. In September my council is bringing on the wheelie bins with separate boxes for food and tins. The bins will be followed by the Talibin enforcement officers ( on a good salary and pension). if they think that I am washing my cat food tins out they have another think comeing.

You have to wash out tins and things before recycling them- apparently a single unwashed tin can 'contaminate' an entire batch. So- up and down the country people will be conscientiously washing out their tin- pouring thousands of gallons of water down their sinks in the process. Great for the environment eh... :roll:

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
YorkieDragoon said:
rockpile said:

You have to wash out tins and things before recycling them- apparently a single unwashed tin can 'contaminate' an entire batch. So- up and down the country people will be conscientiously washing out their tin- pouring thousands of gallons of water down their sinks in the process. Great for the environment eh... :roll:
Well, that's swings and roundabouts mate. Do you have any comprehension of how much it costs to get a boat load of recycling waste to China? The more stuff we can wash off in the UK, the cheaper the boat is.

YorkieDragoon said:
rockpile said:

Two things, as the tins are presumably melted down and re-used surely that should cleanse them, like the cleansing fire of the LORD?

Secondly are not the water authorities demanding compulsory water meters?

Wash your waste, use more water, pay more bills, is this really what was meant by "Joined up government?" :?

Sorry chaps, I didn't realise the benefits of cleaning up the stuff that I'm throwing away. Now I realise that it will help my beloved council by spreading the cost to each household. The wine bottles are always empty.

No increase in fly tipping expected.

I already have awater meter so I am half way there.

Oxfordshire bins are also going to be tagged. 'Just in case the central Government requires us to by law in future' and no doubt in advance of charging per collection. If I have to start paying for my waste collection separately, I'd like a commensurate reduction in my Council Tax please.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
milsum said:
Oxfordshire bins are also going to be tagged. 'Just in case the central Government requires us to by law in future' and no doubt in advance of charging per collection. If I have to start paying for my waste collection separately, I'd like a commensurate reduction in my Council Tax please.
You on drugs?!?

You'll be asking for a reduction in council tax because you're sorting the waste into recyclable and non-recyclable next! 8O

milsum said:
Oxfordshire bins are also going to be tagged. 'Just in case the central Government requires us to by law in future' and no doubt in advance of charging per collection.
Interesting; I wonder what happens if the bin's tag were to mysteriously re-write its self (something to do with sunspots. Or mobile telephone masts. Or the ion drives of flying pigs or something) so that it had the same number as the local MP's bin?

I wonder how long it'd take them to notice?

T

Tremaine

Wish I'd seen this before now. Watching back our wireless IP, the other week from work, there was a bloke in an orange vest digging through our bins. :x never been before and not been back since. There's a nice big, sprung, mousetrap sat inside of one of them now, removed on collection days. As the area is private and he got in through a usually locked back gate, what's the chances of trespass , do you think ?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Tremaine said:
Wish I'd seen this before now. Watching back our wireless IP, the other week from work, there was a bloke in an orange vest digging through our bins. :x never been before and not been back since. There's a nice big, sprung, mousetrap sat inside of one of them now, removed on collection days. As the area is private and he got in through a usually locked back gate, what's the chances of trespass , do you think ?
We have that we don't have wheelie bins and still use black bags
We got a letter from the council telling us we couldn't put the bags out until 19:00 the night before collection
There is a bloke who comes round and checks any bags that have been put out to see if he can get any names and address'
It's a £100 fine if you disobay

Last week I borrowed a pick up from a mate to move some old household junk to the tip
Loaded an old TV unit and some other stuff all quite clearly household stuff
Arrived at the tip and was stopped at the entrance

You can't use pickups or vans at York tips anymore
Any other vehicle other than a car or 4 x 4 (Range Rover etc) requires a permit
You have to apply 10 days in advance to the council for said permit
Apparently it's to stop "commercial" waste being dumped

This is the same council who spend all there time whining about fly tipping :x

the_boy_syrup said:
Tremaine said:
We got a letter from the council telling us we couldn't put the bags out until 19:00 the night before collection
There is a bloke who comes round and checks any bags that have been put out to see if he can get any names and address'

Last week I borrowed a pick up from a mate to move some old household junk to the tip

Come to Harrogate instead, we're much nicer (and posher).

overpromoted said:
the_boy_syrup said:
Tremaine said:

Come to Harrogate instead, we're much nicer (and posher).
Bit off topic I know but.

Hey OP I notice you say your sat at a computer in Harrogate, I am looking for employment in the Harrogate area and was wondering if you know of any vacancies?

I am interested in server design/build/support on windows 2003 and network support roles, I do have a few qualifications and 3+ years experience, just wondering if you know anyone who is recruiting at the minute.

Thanks in advance and all that, if you dont ask you dont get etc.....

the_boy_syrup said:
Tremaine said:

I suggest you write to your MP about it.

Pah! only joking. A nice big bonfire of all the stuff shuld do the trick...

YD

Latest Threads