Load of Patriot SAMs confiscated

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by -Sardaukar-, Dec 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. News | YLE Uutiset | yle.fi (sorry, the link will change)

According to Interior Minister Päivi Räsänen, the cargo manifest of the M/S Thor Liberty on which 69 Patriot ground-to-air missiles were found, listed the weapons as "fireworks". She said that documents associated with the containers holding the missiles carried the name of a South Korean individual.

The vessel which sails under the flag of the Isle of Man, was known to be carrying 150 tonnes of legal explosives.

These, however, were being transported in an unsafe manner.

In addition to the explosives, officials discovered American-made Patriot missiles which were listed on the cargo manifest as fireworks.

According to the Minister of the Interior, there has been no transit permit issued for the missiles by the Finnish Defense Forces.
    She added that there is no indication that the cargo posed a danger to the port or the local population. However, if the cargo of anchor chain that the ship came to Finland to pick up had been loaded, a seriously dangerous situation could have arisen.
    According to Räsänen the cargo vessel will be moved to one of the port's remote docks for reloading during the Christmas period when traffic is low. When permission for the explosives to be taken out of the country is given, the vessel will continue on to China. What will happen to the Patriot missiles is still undecided.

The missiles have been turned over to the Finnish Defense Forces.

The Interior Minister said that German police have been contacted in connection with the investigation.
  2. HHH

HHH LE

Your link does not work.
  3. Should we not just let the bad guys have them? I thought they were useless and shot down friendly aircraft. Though that might have something to do with being operated by Americans...
  4. Works now...them bastards change when there is any update...
  5. HHH

HHH LE

Are the missiles on their own of any use ?
  6. They apparently were in British vessel in way to China...
  7. Ex German Patriots apparently.
  8. Seems it was just unfortunate incident, Germans say they sold those to S-Korea...

9. In boxes marked 'FIREWORKS' and with no proper paperwork, like you do…
  10. ja ja, those madcap germans mit the zany sense of humour
  11. FDW

FDW Old-Salt

Well they are just really big fireworks

When i buy stuff off ebay in the US i have them mark "gift" to avoid customs duty...no problem
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Seems someone in Germany might have some explaining to do. I cant imagine the US authorities being very happy.
  13. If you want to reverse engineer them in order to produce a copy, then I'd guess that they are.
  14. Seems like what actually happened! :thumright:

Apparently something was also lost in translation between Germans, Koreans and Finns..."Rockets" in this time of year..well...can see why Customs started to shit bricks when they saw Patriot missiles. Happy New Year! :)

Actually the label was "rockets" and customs agent misunderstood it as fireworks, which is not all that far fetched considering the time of the year. As i understand several languages don't really make difference between rocket and missile. (German would be one of them, unless you go all technical and call a missile Lenkwaffe (guided weapon) to distinguish it from Rakete.)

Anyways, at least it shows our Customs do work sometimes...:thumright: