LMG Down Grip

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by 307, Aug 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 307

307 War Hero

The lack of a down grip on the LMG to me, is a glaringly obvious error and one that is easy to fix. Would make it better to patrol with, easier to quickly acquire target and fire from the shoulder or kneeling position, we already have a gojillion Grip Pods, surely just a case of removing hand guard and screwing some rail to the thing?

2. I think what you just described is a rifle.

It's a machine gun, it does what it says on the tin.

3. m249-pip.jpg

Like this? I've seen the odd bloke with something similar but I think they were purchased privately.

4. There is the "SPW" format of the minimi that has a rail, not that I think a front grip would improve much.

5. They're part of the CES for the M249s, though the ones I had were more of a pistol grip design than a down grip, that way looks better as it removes the weight of the odd Bipod.

6. 307

307 War Hero

In no way shape or form does it describe a rifle, have you been an LMG gunner on ops? From personal experience, I would have found some sort of fore grip handy, the LMG is front end heavy and as such, causes trouble when trying to maintain it in some sort of semi stable position in the shoulder or kneeling.

Crow bag, yup pretty much. I seem to recall a picture of a concept like that from a few years back, when VIPR was unveiled.

7. "Would make it better to patrol with, easier to quickly acquire target and fire from the shoulder or kneeling position"

Sounding pretty rifle-ish to me.

8. Is that a bit like a 60mm mortar?

http://www.arrse.co.uk/infantry/185172-mortars.html

• Like Like x 3
  9. There are in the system and codified already - Picatinny type rail with all the scope to add whatever the **** you want.

10. Have you used an LMG on Ops? Or, have you had to carry one on patrol for extended periods of time?

I think a down grip would be a useful addition to an LMG, however I'm not sure I'd be a fan of having a bipod where you can't adjust the height if it were to be along the lines of the grip for the rifle.

11. Wasnt there an MoD picture about a year a go showing the LMG with the bipod/grip thats now used on the rifle?

12. 307

307 War Hero

Ah, thanks, I didn't want to call irrelevant, outdated nob on Buzz without due cause, but his comments here coupled with the 60mm stuff have now clarified all.

I'm not saying we should bin the bipod, but a grip would be more than welcome, I know that would cause dramas with folding the legs away and legs locked forward isn't always ideal.

And if I ruled the world, ops ammo would come pre packed in 100 round soft pouches, loose link causes stoppages on the LMG.

At danger of really going off thread, I've seen some yanks with a foregrip horizontally mounted on their M240. Thoughts?

13. Not a bad idea, to have ammo bags pre-packed. Or just issue a few more to have more 'ready' ammo.

Horizontal foregrip on a M240/GPMG has its uses. If nothing more than keeping your delicate mitts well away from the barrel!!! Does sound like someones been watching 'aliens' thought!

14. You took your time mucka, Buzz, the cnut, has been spouting shite for weeks if not months. I think that his Meds need upping or changed to poisen via mercy killing type scenario.

There used to be a 'J.Smith1981' on the IT thread who showed very similar 'human punchbag' like tendencies by he was royally fecked off by all our proper IT experts....maybe those two cnuts are related?

15. I'll be honest I didn't notice until you said that.

I did chuckle long and hard at the 'Mortars' thread though, and the follow through on this thread. Just looking for the grandslam now...