Living "off grid" in the UK?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Apr 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it possible to live under the radar in the UK?
    Get paid cash in hand,don't inform the utility companies or local/national council of where you are living,leave no paper trail etc?

2. Theoretically yes - but they can always track you with the microchip inside your head.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I've got a mate who lives up near Cartmel in the lakes. He works in his wood making charcoal and selling that, all cash work. Living in a lean to and enjoying life with the odd bottle of bartered scotch.

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Not with my tinfoil hat they can't.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sounds wonderfull..:thumright:

6. Buy a motorhome.

7. I hope you keep that foil covered, or the spy planes, satelites etc will be following you. Maybe they already are as they caught you on camera with no corresponding gps signal.

8. Well, your gov't is discussing about putting them in all new puppies....can't be that far off! :)

CBBC Newsround - Dog owners in England will have to microchip puppies
    Microchip for every new pup: Millions face £35 bill as ministers unveil hi-tech scheme to tackle the scourge of dangerous dogs | Mail Online
    Microchips can't stop dangerous dogs biting | Beverley Cuddy | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

George Orwell must be thanking your gov't for making his novel a reality. I still don't understand how it will actually stop them from attacking though! Hey, it's all for the greater good of the U.K., isn't it?

9. Are we talking Jack Reacher stylee? Just a comb in your pocket, using random cashpoints to withdraw your pension, buying new, cheap utility clothes when the old ones need washing and smashing the bad guys at every turn.

Nah.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Why? What have you done?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Just go and ask any of our older cardboard box dwelling residents in any inner city area, not as glamorous as Mr Reacher though.

12. Exactly.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  13. How about a whole new identity? get your knob hollowed and turned inside out, stick a couple of volleyballs to your chest and ram your head into an ill fitting blonde wig.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Its probably harder if you have people looking for you, Scotland is a pretty big place, perhaps get a job as a farm hand no questions asked and a free bothy as part of the deal.

Ive thought about buying a wood a few times, not to make charcoal, as one day, after you have burnt all your wood, you will just have a big field whith a lean to in the middle which probably wont go unnoticed in Cartmel, but then perhaps you use it as a cash only carpark for the races.

There was a guy called Sandy who used to live in a bothy on Cape Wrath, once a week he would walk into the villiage (10km), collect his pension, buy some food and booze, scrounge a few pints then wander off to the bothy, overnighting under a rock on the way back. Collected driftwood for fire and shell fish and other users of the bothy for food...

I meant other users of the bothy left him food.

Ideal with a pension / dole but I like a drink too much so would need a still.

15. Why not? Pikeys do it all the time.

• Like Like x 4