Living off camp

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Lulubrigade, Jan 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently in phase 2 CIC and have a fair bit to go. But was wondering when I've passed out and am allocated to a battalion, will I be able to live off camp instead of staying in a block, Or would I have to wait a while before requesting to live off camp?
    I have a kid and a mrs but were not married so obviously don't qualify for married quarters but want to buy or rent near to the camp I'll be posted at.

Any insight would be great.
    Cheers

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

2. I just went on C.O.'s orders asked to live out with my then Girlfriend and he said yes as long as i could make it back to Barracks within an hour if we were ever fastballed for anything!

3. Write to your CO and ask permission.

AGAI Volume 2, Chapter 53 has the process you need to follow, but in essence, be aware of:

1. The rules say you need to be at your first Unit for 12 months before permission is granted, although it is at the discretion of the CO to reduce this period if you can demonstrate a need. A missus and child should satisfy this criteria although it is up to the CO.

2. You need to formally request and be granted permission - i.e. write to the CO.

3. Permission may be withdrawn at any time - you need to bear this in mind when it comes to negotiating contracts for rental properties. The AGAI mentions you may need insurance to guard against this contingency.

4. Your effectiveness as a soldier is key, so if you have a period of being late for work because of transport or admin clusterfucks, don't be surprised if your permission to live out is withdrawn.

Your Pl Sgt or OC should be able to help with chapter and verse nearer the time, but that's it in outline.

4. I lived off camp but still paid for SLA, no worries. Mind you that was a while ago. A lot of us did, as long as you turned up, all good.

5. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Old-Salt Moderator

Yes, that sounds perfectly sensible. If you ask politely you should have no problem.

(In the unlikely event that in due course they are difficult, send me a personal message and we can discuss further. You have the right to respect for private and family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights, and refusing to permit you to live with your partner and child is a clear breach. In the highly unlikely event that anyone were ignorant enough to refuse you, I would happily help you draft a Service Complaint, contact your MP, and instruct lawyers. Like I say, it should not come to that, though.)

6. Make sure you talk to the RAO and get the wife and kid all sorted as your NOK etc.

Why not get married?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Get married. Do it on the cheap and quiet at a registry office if funds are short which, at your stage in life, they will be.

Much cheaper and a whole lot less hassle all round.