Living in Spain.

Mrs WB is looking at the idea of buying a property and living in Spain. Some of you on here live out in Spain so I am picking your brains as to what are the pros & cons of making such a move?

One of the cons I can see is that as Mrs WB is of the fairer skin/ pale/ African sunset/ strawberry blond (totally ginger) variety I will need shares in a sun cream company.

Has there been any snags with pensions etc being paid whilst you live in a foreign country or do you just get it paid to a UK account then transfer it to a local account?

I realise at the moment there is a lot of political turmoil regarding all sorts of things but if that sort of thing could be left in the Brexit threads it would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

If Missus is of the fairer skin then further south would be a problem in the summer with temperatures goging way past 40º.
I would choose further north and perhaps Galicia or Catalonia if this is the case,

As to pensions I can't help as I'm still slaving working.

As to Brexit who knows?

But above all, start learning the basics of the language now.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Mrs WB is looking at the idea of buying a property and living in Spain. Some of you on here live out in Spain so I am picking your brains as to what are the pros & cons of making such a move?

One of the cons I can see is that as Mrs WB is of the fairer skin/ pale/ African sunset/ strawberry blond (totally ginger) variety I will need shares in a sun cream company.

Has there been any snags with pensions etc being paid whilst you live in a foreign country or do you just get it paid to a UK account then transfer it to a local account?

I realise at the moment there is a lot of political turmoil regarding all sorts of things but if that sort of thing could be left in the Brexit threads it would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.
Please, dear god, if you don't already, make a serious, concerted effort to learn the language before you buy.

It will make a serious difference to your overall experience and how you're accepted into the local community.

ugly

LE
Please, dear god, if you don't already, make a serious, concerted effort to learn the language before you buy.

It will make a serious difference to your overall experience and how you're accepted into the local community.
Its true, I can hardly understand those Scots who inhabit the back streets around Euston and Kings Cross, if only they had learned Engish first!

Thanks for your help.
My missus has the fairer skin as well but wears a hat, keeps under the brollies on the beach etc and uses a very high SPF sun screen. She has no problems.
Pensions are paid to any bank anywhere in the world. I have my Army pension paid here and is more than enough to live well on (no mortgage, very low council tax etc). If you have it paid to a UK bank and then transfer it you are at the mercy of the exchange rate given by the bank whilst the government pension payers tend to get a better exchange rate.

You will need a NIE which is a Numero de Identifacion extranjeros or a foreigners ID number. You need that to open a bank account, buy property, buy a car and virtually everything as you are asked for it on numerous occasions. If you live near London, Edinburgh or Belfast then it is easier to get one in UK than in Spain because of the panic of people applying for NIE and residency at the moment (local government office normally gets about 50 applications a month but this has gone up to about 500 a month so waiting times for appointments are months instead of weeks).

Problems with Brexit. Not sure how it will work once we have left. Currently you just need medical insurance (if you're retired that is state paid for insurance). If under retirement age, you need to take out private insurance for the first year and then the universal free healthcare kicks in (this is to stop health tourists).
You need to prove you have enough income to support yourself which is around 600 euro a month.
If we are classed as 3rd country citizens after Brexit, it may change and you may have to have medical insurance and a much larger income (26,700 euro for the first and then 6,000 per member of family).
But nobody knows and the Spanish government have put into law that those already resident in Spain will continue as normal in the event of a no deal but there is a General Election coming up and the last Conservative lot stopped the universal healthcare. A case of wait and see, I'm afraid. But there are many non EU citizens who live here and seem to have no problems.

So saying, it has been 24 to 26C every day for the last fortnight. Even in Feb it didn't go below 18C and we have been to the beach this morning. Lovely in the sun (parasol for the missus) and had a picnic whilst there. We didn't actually go into the sea (bit cold for us) but loads of people taking the plunge. All the bars and restaurants seemed pretty full with people sitting outside. People actually smile at each other and say Hola etc. (get used to being kissed on the cheeks and being hugged even by the men if you've met them before. We even get it in shops now).

Learning Spanish, even a smattering, will help. The Spanish like it when you try and will help you out once they realise you are making the effort. And it's cerveza, by the way, unless you move to that uncivilised area inhabited by @Dwarf and @Ciggie where it is cervesa.

Can't argue with the other posts, learn some basic bits of the language , unless you head for somewhere dreadful like benidorm of course. Get registered and get the NIE number asap it's essential for all sorts of things from signing for a parcel to paying with a credit card in some stores. Also register with the local town hall when you do arrive and buy, or rent a place (known as the Padròn). Here in Catalonia we have the best wines I think, if that's important to you. Beer is cheap and plentiful everywhere . Asking for a caña will get you a draught beer .

All very helpful thank you.
I am looking at the previously quoted renting in Spain thread which is giving lots of useful tips.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
So saying, it has been 24 to 26C every day for the last fortnight. Even in Feb it didn't go below 18C and we have been to the beach this morning. Lovely in the sun (parasol for the missus) and had a picnic whilst there. We didn't actually go into the sea (bit cold for us) but loads of people taking the plunge. All the bars and restaurants seemed pretty full with people sitting outside. People actually smile at each other and say Hola etc. (get used to being kissed on the cheeks and being hugged even by the men if you've met them before. We even get it in shops now).
Sounds utterly awful.

You jammy bastard..:D

May I just applaud the full and informative post of my esteemed arrser @exbleep. He's pretty much hit the nail on it's informative head.

However may I point out that he still lives in a part of the country that is historically the 'Catalan Countries' where cervesa is the correct pronunciation and was when the present dominant castillian was still a minor player in the Iberian Peninsula.

That apart I can't fault his post, it's right on the button.
What I would say is that you do a bit of research and maybe visit a few parts of the country before deciding where to settle.
Bear in mind that if you do go to Galicia or Catalonia or the Basque Country there will likely be two languages in the air, though people will be happy to converse in Spanish knowing that you are foreign.

As to the weather, we are currently, at least here in Catalonia, in a dry spell which is not typical. Temperatures of between 20-25° during the day. Last year we had a crap spring, wet and rainy till mid May. It can be good, it can be rubbish, but in general it's better than the UK.

People are friendly, life is a bit cheaper, and there is much to see and explore.

I wish you good luck whatever.

Thanks for your help.
@Spanish_Dave

May I just applaud the full and informative post of my esteemed arrser @exbleep. He's pretty much hit the nail on it's informative head.

However may I point out that he still lives in a part of the country that is historically the 'Catalan Countries' where cervesa is the correct pronunciation and was when the present dominant castillian was still a minor player in the Iberian Peninsula.

That apart I can't fault his post, it's right on the button.
What I would say is that you do a bit of research and maybe visit a few parts of the country before deciding where to settle.
Bear in mind that if you do go to Galicia or Catalonia or the Basque Country there will likely be two languages in the air, though people will be happy to converse in Spanish knowing that you are foreign.

As to the weather, we are currently, at least here in Catalonia, in a dry spell which is not typical. Temperatures of between 20-25° during the day. Last year we had a crap spring, wet and rainy till mid May. It can be good, it can be rubbish, but in general it's better than the UK.

People are friendly, life is a bit cheaper, and there is much to see and explore.

I wish you good luck whatever.
Well, you may be right about the Catalan (or Valenciana as they call it here) but the north of Costa Blanca (more Catalan) speaks rather differently to the south (more Castillian).
I did mention on another post that I visiting the library here. This is because I am studying (I know, at my age) the Catalan/Valenciana language. I am also doing a 3 hour once a week course at the Elche (Elx) university of languages to improve my bit of your foreign tongue.
Not doing too bad at the moment although my big problem is mixing the two dialects (yeah, I know it's really a different language) and say things like equipatge at the airport but still ask for salidas instead of sortidas.
Give me a month or so and I'll be per favoring instead of por favoring and wishing you a bon dia instead of buenos dias.
Espero que estiguis bé (I think)

I tried that in Fife. Didn't work, ya hoor.

Well, you may be right about the Catalan (or Valenciana as they call it here) but the north of Costa Blanca (more Catalan) speaks rather differently to the south (more Castillian).
I did mention on another post that I visiting the library here. This is because I am studying (I know, at my age) the Catalan/Valenciana language. I am also doing a 3 hour once a week course at the Elche (Elx) university of languages to improve my bit of your foreign tongue.
Not doing too bad at the moment although my big problem is mixing the two dialects (yeah, I know it's really a different language) and say things like equipatge at the airport but still ask for salidas instead of sortidas.
Give me a month or so and I'll be per favoring instead of por favoring and wishing you a bon dia instead of buenos dias.
Espero que estiguis bé (I think)
It's not really a thread diversion as it depends where the OP chooses to live.
But when you do have the two languages it can be confusing with some things. I still have trouble knowing if some words are Catalan or Spanish or both.
It is worth the OP noting that if he settles in Catalonia or a Catalan speaking area of Valencia or even the Balears then the two languages are not mutually intelligible, so a Spaniard hearing Catalan won't understand it.
And don't even think about trying to understand Basque.
However everyone understands Spanish so that's the one to start with.

(Catalan, Valencian, Mallorquin, Menorquin, Aranes, Roussillon, and the others are all dialects of the same Catalan language.)

Oh, and OP, it can get fairly cold in winter, but unless you are in a mountainous area then not as cold as the UK in general, but this does surprise some people. I live in the very NE and our last real snow was some seven years ago, haven't seen it since.

Exbleep. Gracies, estic força be pero lesionat al adductors i no puc correr fins que esta curat. Tambe espero que estiguis be i bona sort amb les estudis.

Certainly lots of good information coming.
Thank you.

As long as it is warmer than the UK in the winter we will be laughing.
For some reason she turned Canada down.

I had nearly a decade living out there , thoroughly enjoyed it , still have property there , wouldn't live there permanently again even if Brexit changes nothing for immigrants.