Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Living in Retirement in Cyprus

I like Cyprus very much, but consider the purchase of property there a step too far.

I prefer the 'swallows' concept (ooh err missus) of retirement summers in UK and flitting to warmer climes for the winter, returning in the spring time.

The idea of grabbing wallet, passport and a bag and high tailing it out if things go Pete Tong is quite appealing.

The current position is that you can choose to be taxed in UK or Cyprus - and you only get taxed once due to the double taxation agreement. The Pathfinder at link contains an article about living abroad generally.

Pathfinder International magazine
I thought that ended in April when the new agreement came into place?

Also, if all the income you have, less your mil pension, is taxed in Cyprus rather than the UK then surely by using the unused part of your partners* tax allowance you'd not be paying any tax in the UK or not very much?

* Assuming you have a partner and that partner isn't out earning you or their tax allowance.

Great climate and scoff but crap economy with the euro. Like Dans approach of ducking in and out but would be concerned about post Brexit shenanigans with the pound and euro. Their healthcare isn't all it's cracked up to be unless you marry a Russian with connections - of which there are many in Larnaca!