Living in Retirement in Cyprus

Discussion in 'Living Overseas' started by cliveincyprus, Oct 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now retired and a permanent resident in Cyprus for the past eight years. The good and bad points if you are considering living/retiring to Cyprus.

Good points.
    Very low taxation, I only paid forty-seven euros in tax this year. All bank account interest, repeat interest, in Cyprus is taxed at source at ten percent, goes to pay for the National Guard. You also have to declare also any UK savings, equally taxed at ten percent. But still works out less than the UK.

Usual weekly shopping is some forty percent cheaper than the UK if you buy the fresh local products. Very expensive if like some out here that cannot or won’t cook and buy imported UK frozen food. Roughly spend 300 euros a week on shopping, for two people, including wine and beer. Beer from a Supermarket chain, 95 cents a small can. Wine can be had for less than three euros a litre bottle.

Petrol costs just over the euro a litre. Less than a 100 euros a year road tax. MOT every two years and only costs 35 euro. Car insurance, fully comp with a British company, 370 euro.

If you apply to the UK Inland Revenue and get yourself declared by the UK taxman as “non-Resident in the UK,” your UK private pensions are paid out here free of UK tax.
    If you are a permanent resident here and over 60, you get free medical and prescriptions. No free bus passes. No free eye test or glasses.

Sunshine nine months of the year. Only need central heating on for a couple of months. Air-conditioning the same. Much lower utility bills than the UK. Hot water supplied free most of the time from the Solar Panels that heat a tank on the roof.

Cyprus is in many ways like the UK in the 1960’s. If you come to live here you need to be very self-reliant. Many of the younger ones who come out here, many who have never been out of the UK before, fall flat on their faces because “there isn’t anybody to do something about it” when things go wrong, and usually return to the UK within six months. Cyprus is not a Nanny-state. At the moment if you receive the UK Winter Heating Allowance, you can still receive it in Cyprus, it does get cold here as well. I believe other payments such as Disability/Mobility allowances are also payable when out her.

Low crime rates, drive on the Left hand side of the road. You can get SKY TV with a Dish larger than 2.7 metres, Broadband now available across the island but still more expensive than the UK.

The Bad Points.

The property market is dire. Most of the conveyancing lawyers are in league with the property developers and do not work in their client’s interests. If you buy a property here do not, under any circumstances buy without title deeds. That is title deeds delivered when you have paid in full for the property. Far too many Brits have fallen into the property trap and are now stuck with a property they cannot sell, no title deeds, or leave to the children; they don’t actually own the property, no title deeds. Many alas now face eviction as developers have deliberately put themselves into voluntary liquidation and the banks foreclose on hundreds of thousands of properties for which the full value had already been paid for in the first place. So be warned, “No title Deeds Equals No Deal.”
    Best to buy a re-sale property with title deeds from another ex-pat. You can then do the deal using your UK solicitors, although a solicitor is not necessary as all you need to do to change ownership is to attend the Land Registry with the appropriate money and change the names on the title deeds. You can also pay for it in Pounds Sterling, saving on the exchange rate. Best to rent, from another Brit until you find a property with title deeds. Or rent permanently, again from another Brit, so many very good places to rent from as little as 300 euros a month for an apartment.

Cheap public transport (buses) is only just becoming available across the island, so a car is essential to get around. So choose a place to live that isn’t too far from the shops. Also choose an area that is already built-up otherwise you may find yourself suddenly living in the middle of a vast housing estate with no views at all. Also live near other Brits, that way you can get help without language problems.

Forget the romantic notion of “living amongst the locals” they will drive you mad with their noise and their living habits; many live like gypsies, keeping chickens and rabbits in their front gardens.

Cyprus is not very disabled-friendly. Getting about on a mobility scooter is virtually impossible due to the cars numerous parked on the pavements. Few establishments make any provision for wheelchair access.

Things to Consider.

Many mature couples come to Cyprus and then leave because of domestic affairs back in the UK.
    Daughters need their mothers when having baby’s or with marriage troubles. Grandmothers, now in Cyprus, miss the grandchildren and want to return to the UK. The grandfather may be perfectly happy in Cyprus but gets forced back to the UK.
    Before cutting your ties with the UK a couple need to have a serious talk on how to handle situation back in the UK. Many didn’t and came to grief.

Otherwise Cyprus is a wonderful place to retire too.

2. Cheers for that. I know a few people how live out there, they enjoy it but keep property in the UK as well

3. Cheers for that. I know a few people how live out there, they enjoy it but keep property in the UK as well

what are property prices like

4. Property prices falling fast but alas many without title deeds so shouldn't be touched under any circumstances. Get a two-bed apartment for under 100k - villas houses from 120k upwards.

5. I think this is the most sensible option. One sees far too many British people who sold everything to move abroad. This is most apparent on the Costas. Their investments are now worthless; likewise their pensions have declined in value.
    Yes, by all means move abroad, but leave yourself a bolt hole in the UK

• Like Like x 1
  6. Verra Verra wisio und gut wisdomino! I moved to Cyprus and stayed for five years and fortunately kept hesitiating about flogging my UK bolt hole! Glad I didn't because like a lorra peoples I eventually had health issues and had to come back to the UK.. great place to be but as Clive said - families etal can become issues - but on a lighter note it i not as far as Aus. If anone ants to go play with a cheap old place I have one I need to selll... and oh yes I DO have the Title Deeds.

7. I've only just found your very interesting assessment of life in Cyprus - thanks. When I left the Forces in '88, my wife and I swore that, if things didn't change too much, we would retire there - it was a wonderful, idyllic place to live, and both of our children were born there, so it really did mean a lot to us. Sadly, things have changed - and dramatically; it would take a lot to convince me to retire there now. A friend of mine spent a long time some years ago looking for his ideal property in the south-west area of the island. Whenever he found somewhere really promising, he'd ask to see the title deeds; in almost every case, they turned out to be as dodgy as an 85 mil note. He now lives in France.

But the one fact which turns me off the place is that you cannot dispose of toilet paper down the toilet. To me, that signifies a primitive approach to sewerage, to say the least - after all the facilities we bequeathed them on giving them their independence, it does not indicate progress. Personally, I view it as a major inconvenience. There is also the fact that Cyprus may still be suffering drought conditions.

More significantly and up-to-date, perhaps, my mother-in-law's gardener is a Cypriot by birth but is now permanently settled in the UK. He recently went back there on holiday and told me on his return that prices in Cyprus were now higher than that in the UK. I obviously don't know how accurate he is, but it is clear that the current downturn in Greece's fortunes will undoubtedly have affected Cyprus - indeed, it government bonds are now considered to be of little value.

In view of the recent changes in global economy, would you consider (if you are still living there) providing an update on conditions on the island? Your views could be of inestimable value to anyone still considering retiring there.

8. Always,even if its only a hole in the wall. Best advice ever which this stupid mong didnt do.

9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Interesting article by Jeff Randall about the current state of play in Cyprus:

Cash-strapped Cyprus plots Russian exit from austerity - Telegraph

10. Even some of the largest property developers on the island try a version of the title deeds scam. Sometimes you can own the property but not the land it's built upon!!!!

11. Well I have lived for 7 years in Belgium. It's sort of err Belgium.........

12. The Belgians are almost french so I'd exercise extreme caution. Any funny business then put them to the sword!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Do you really spend 300 Euros a week for two people or should it be 300 Euros a month?
    The buses in Ayia Napa and Paphos have greatly improved in the last two years and there are now shuttle buses to Larnaca and Paphos Airports.

14. Cousin has a place out there and used to go for runs along the beach, unbelievable amount of Russians around smoking fat cigars also loads of clubs bought up by Russians.
    Also don't be tempted by Northern Cyprus cheap prices thats an even bigger pitfall