Living in Namibia

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jest265, Apr 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently applying for a self funded job in Namibia and wondered if any arrsers knew much about living out there.

I am looking for information regarding living costs and finding accommodation etc but any other input would be great. I have searched for internet sites that may be able to help but have not had any luck thus far. If I get it I will most probably be living in Windhoek.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sorry Jest, I know nothing whatsoever about Namibia, but I am rather curious as to exactly what a self funded job is?

Does that mean no wages?

Regards
    T_T

3. Pretty much, plus have to pay own flights and accommodation etc. Just trying to figure out how much I need to save/beg/steal/borrow.

4. Theres excellent hunting in Namibia, you can even bag an elephant if your pockets are deep enough.

5. You've probably seen this but, Namibia

6. oooo I shall get one and call him Stampy, have always wanted an elephant.

I hadn't Trev but have had a look through and doesn't seem to be much on there. Thanks anyway.

7. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Great country, lots of Germans so a lot of it is very well organised, locals have the political power, whites and specifically German speakers and ex pats ( the German mafia) still have the financial and business power as in much of Africa.

As someone said, great hunting, superb countryside, largest sand dunes in the world, skeleton coast for 4x4 exploring (yep that's it's name) sunshine 350 days of the year, water is a bit chilly in the Atlantic, great surf fishing,
    Windhoek has most of the normal amenities, broadband is expensive but is available. Flying is cheap (relatively) and there is a big social life built around the flying community - more planes than I've seen anywhere outside America.

Beer is VERY German -Rheingebott and all that - and very good.

Twice weekly direct flights to Europe (Frankfurt) and 2 hours flight to the fleshpots of Cape Town or Joburg if you want a change of scenery.

Grab the chance with both hands.....

(sorry re-read as far as self financing £24k a year would be a very good lifestyle, £15k would be ok and you could manage on £12k - you will have to buy a car which is an expensive initial outlay as there is not much in the way of public transport)

8. Wonderful country - like RSA but even more efficient thanks to the lingering German influence. Excellent infrastructure, main roads, hospitals etc. Magnificent climate, superb wildlife, few nasty endemic diseases.

If you are taking streling with you, you'll find the cost of living very cheap. Currently around 15 Rand/Namib. dollars : £1.

Pretty girls, too, IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised if you decided to stay.

I'm retiring in 2-3 years to Namibia.

9. I shoudn't bother giving him a name, they're not usually too responsive once you've put 500 grains through their cerebral cortex.

10. Not much use to me.

Do you know what the cost of housing is? Also, how I would go about finding housing whilst in the UK?

11. Jest, if I remember correctly one of my tutors lived out there for some time so I can ask him for info next week when lectures start again if thats of any use to you?

12. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

13. For all I knew, you could've been a bloke! :? Or gay! 8)

I daresay the blokes are handsome, not that I'd know . . . . :lol:

Houses to buy - which is all I know about - are by UK reckonings very cheap and good value indeed - and I'd automatically assume that the rentals sector will be equally good value. But sadly, I've no personal contacts in the housing rentals business.

Logic would suggest that flats/houses a bit away from the touristy places will be better value, and perhaps give exposure to a more authentically Namibian experience.

Try a Google on "house/apartment renting Namibia" and see what comes up.

The food is excellent, wine/beer ditto, and once you get used to a certain Germanic abrasiveness, you'll thank them for the fact that everything is so efficient.

14. That would be great hun thanks.

Thanks also caubeen and schaden, I'll look into it.

I probably won't even get the job after all of this.

15. Remember reading years ago that their ex-serviceman's association, set up like so many after WW1, mixed German and Commonwealth on an equal basis. While the 14-18 contingent obviously won't still be there, presumably an interesting mix of veterans might still be found at some 'shell-hole' (as I understand branches to be called...) meetings.