Living in Germany

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by M.E.L, Nov 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, my husband is in the REME and we have been discussing a possible posting to Germany and would like to know where would be the best places to live for a young family as our daughter is approaching 2 years old.
    Any advice and help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Somewhere near to where his unit is?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Never mind the unit or location - just get out here. It's not much cheaper to live here these days but it's certainly worth experiencing while it lasts.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Paderborn

5. Very current affairs, obviously.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oohhh hark at the digital Juliet Bravo!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Lots of bars, clubs, and slappers

• Like Like x 1
  8. Unless things have changed a lot in recent years he won't have much choice, so nor will you ;-)

But I'd second what others have said about going for it regardless, the more so as the chance won't be there for much longer.

And try to be an atypical army wife, in the sense of going to German classes and being as much in the real Germany as poss. All too many forces personnel and spouses come back from the country having lived in a little army bubble.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. What do you mean "What's around"?

Paderborn was great, but I enjoyed Hohne as well. A lot of places are scheduled to shut, but the Army way is normally to go where you are told to and make the most of it.

Paderborn is fairly central, has a decent sized town with plenty of German stuff (google Libori Fest). Depending on where you are housed (Sennelager, Bad Lippspringe, Schloss Neuhaus or Padeborn - maybe Detmold) then your local facilities vary.

10. Black & Whites, The Fun Factory, Bonkers, and the Pleasure Dome....and lots of slappers.

11. If you want some constructive advice - learn German!...If you don't, then you're in for a miserable time here!

• Like Like x 6