Living in Europe post-brexit...

Look like I've come to a critical decision I've had to make and it's not one to make lightly, I've just gotten my Irish passport and in just over 2 months my wife will finish her PhD in English Literature from a uni in India (Indian national) and I have a son who obviously a UK passport holder like myself who is over there,

Hell with living in India, sh*t hole of a place and she isn't keen on staying to long, the world is a big place,

The way things are business is going well and the moneys on the rise, not like I'm rich but I'm doing ok, stable, her earning potential is probably greater than mine and I'm looking at countries other than Spain, Portugal, etc where living costs won't be to OTT but she can get a decent job, she can obviously get an EU family permit due to the fact I hold Irish citizenship now, the son is just 1 years old and I'd like to sponsor her cousin to keep her company whilst I crack on with business here in the UK and I can visit frequently,

Looking at countries I was thinking first port of call; Germany? Sweden? Austria?

Open to ideas I guess

She's pretty much a rising star when it comes to her academic abilities and she speaks 4 languages fluently including Arabic so she can fill a niche role.

Look like I've come to a critical decision I've had to make and it's not one to make lightly, I've just gotten my Irish passport and in just over 2 months my wife will finish her PhD in English Literature from a uni in India (Indian national) and I have a son who obviously a UK passport holder like myself who is over there,

Hell with living in India, sh*t hole of a place and she isn't keen on staying to long, the world is a big place,

The way things are business is going well and the moneys on the rise, not like I'm rich but I'm doing ok, stable, her earning potential is probably greater than mine and I'm looking at countries other than Spain, Portugal, etc where living costs won't be to OTT but she can get a decent job, she can obviously get an EU family permit due to the fact I hold Irish citizenship now, the son is just 1 years old and I'd like to sponsor her cousin to keep her company whilst I crack on with business here in the UK and I can visit frequently,

Looking at countries I was thinking first port of call; Germany? Sweden? Austria?

Open to ideas I guess

She's pretty much a rising star when it comes to her academic abilities and she speaks 4 languages fluently including Arabic so she can fill a niche role.
Go to Ireland, they're not too bothered about grammar and spelling over there.

PhD in English Literature from an Indian University? She can sweep floors in the UK just as easily as any other EU country.

Why move to another country and try and work as a foreigner in their language when you can keep your business (doing well in your words) going over here.

Why risk it all for likely no gain? Especially with the Eurozone on the brink of a big collapse. Foriners in the EU will be the first to lose their jobs when the impending crash in Germany spreads across the Eurozone.

Albania. Very good price for 'clever' darkies.

Open to ideas I guess

Is your name Stevie and were you a tri-service boxing champ?

You fit the bill of someone I served with who married a lovely Indian lass. Only you seem more literate than him, but he/you may have educated himself since then.

PhD in English Literature from an Indian University? She can sweep floors in the UK just as easily as any other EU country.

Why move to another country and try and work as a foreigner in their language when you can keep your business (doing well in your words) going over here.

Why risk it all for likely no gain? Especially with the Eurozone on the brink of a big collapse. Foriners in the EU will be the first to lose their jobs when the impending crash in Germany spreads across the Eurozone.
27 times smaller than our impending collapse. So hardly a collapse at all?

Open to ideas I guess

Maybe Brussels? They have lots of "think tank" type of things over there....a recent Indian male friend and his Slovakian (or Slovenian? Can't remember which one) wife moved over there after her finishing her PhD here in the UK. He works as a researcher for Toyota there and and she works in some sort of think tank.

And you can always jump on the Eurostar if you want to travel to London.

Not sure what you're looking for, but this idea came into mind.

I would've said somewhere in Bavaria/ Munich, but stuff there is expensive. Lovely but expensive.

Assuming that your business is flexible enough in terms of location, I’d be looking at somewhere like Slovenia. Lovely country, friendly natives, relatively low cost of living.

Go to Ireland, they're not too bothered about grammar and spelling over there.
But they’re not great fans of foreigners despite what we might think. I have a friend who eventually gave up their attempts to reside there permanently after decades working in the Republic because they couldn’t be ársed to jump through hoops any more.

Goodbye!!

But they’re not great fans of foreigners despite what we might think. I have a friend who eventually gave up their attempts to reside there permanently after decades working in the Republic because they couldn’t be ársed to jump through hoops any more.
Yet Ireland quietly hosted quite a few refugees from Germany/Austria post 1945

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yet Ireland quietly hosted quite a few refugees from Germany/Austria post 1945
And quite a few more between 1939 and 1945, although they weren't called refugees then, just pilots and U Boatmen.

Your "friend" must have been uniquely incompetent or an undesirable....because it ain't that hard.

And quite a few more between 1939 and 1945, although they weren't called refugees then, just pilots and U Boatmen.
Please, inform me what happened to pilots etc who ended up here in WWII?....

As long as you can say 'Sure to be sure', Ireland is the place - if you don't mind pikeys!
A phrase no one has ever said here...like "top o'the mornin, or "U2 are great"...

Latest Threads