Living far from your posting.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Senseist, Jul 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been considering my options for joining a Cavalry Regiment and my probable choice is Scots DG. I live in Kent however and I would like to know about the issues that can arise from living so far from your posting. If anyone has info on this it would be much appreciated.

2. Hmmm... the biggest problem with living so far from your posting is that you don't live near to where you're posted; distance and all.

I hope that helps.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 7
  3. I had a good laugh with that one :) so there is no real issue? How often would I need to drive back and forth from base to home once I pass phase2?
  4. As much as you wish to, brother, work permitted. Overseas postings may be your only barrier, but they're dropping off fast with the drawdown of Germany.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. I was drafted (RM speak for Posted) to Arbroath, Scotland and lived in London. Getting on a train with a couple of six packs of ale and playing spot the 'Squadie" or chat up the Geordie/Jock single woman is for winners. Time flies.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Sounds good, but what were the ticket prices like though?
  7. You used to get rail warrants, a certain number per year plus a railcard that allowed for cheaper tickets, not sure if that is still the case though.
  8. I think you should get warrants for transit between your hometown and your posting town. Still, best to be safe and ask someone who is still serving.
  9. No warrants but the Railcard will help you, anyway why would you want to travel when Scumdee is just round the corner?
  10. If your posting is hundreds of miles away you'll live on camp in the week and travel home at the weekends whenever there's nothing going on.

If you live within a reasonably commutable distance you can go home when you like.

I live in Kent, and spent my P2 at Blandford where I came home pretty much every weekend, then got posted to Wales, which made coming back on the weekend awful until I got quarters with my wife.
  11. I ended up choosing the Light Dragoons so it will only be a couple hours to get home from Swanton Morley
  12. oh how I laughed , you do know they move to Catterick soon ?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Are you sure the army is for you ? You do realise that you may have to spend more than a few days away from mum and dad in one bigggg go ?
  14. Indeed, though either that or aren't SDG getting disbanded? Can't recall, few months since I last seen the army 2015 docs.

I'm sure he's aware of going on tour and month long exercises etc though the opportunity will always be there to see his folks when on down time.

*Edit: haven't seen my parents in almost 2 years living in Germany married though can still empathise with young blokes wanting to get home inbetween frenetic bouts of army life.
  15. This has got to be a piss-take, surely!!!