Living arrangements

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by thebatoneffect, Oct 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am 25yrs old thinking of joining as a soldier.

Question: Do I have to live on base? Can I rent a house on base? Or outside of the base?

Currently I am living with my girlfriend with our two dogs. I can see problems with this !
  2. No need to rent a place you will be living in a thrence , if you wan to bring the dogs bring them you mith get hungry and for you girlfriend bring her down every one would like a go so dont be selfish now
  3. OH NO YOU DONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Seriously though the recruiter said I would have to apply for permission to live off base - but "it wouldnt be a problem"

I understand he is gonna tell me what I want to hear but whats the reality
  5. 1. permission to live off-base won't come for a while (you may be surprised to hear that you have to be trained first, and that can take many months).
    2. Likelyhood is that you won't end up where you think; you're then left with finding somewhere to live. Places like Bulford, Tidworth, Aldershot and Colchester (not a lot left) can be fcuking expensive.
    3. How much do you think you'll earn? Simlarly, jobs for her indoors may be limited. Less beer tokens.
    4. What about when (not if) you deploy on ops? You'll still be paying rent on your own place (unless you're a pad, and I won't go there). No food and accommodation charges means more beer tokens.

Some service accommodation is still very rough. However, I know troops who loved it because it was buckshee, which meant more beer tokens. As for dogs and girlfriends... poof.

6. ... and he is correct, you apply for permission to live out (a formality/courtesy, it's simply a letter to your CO) and then rent your own pad, not a problem except that you could be paying high rent (depending on what part of the country you're posted to) and then moving every two-three years - would that a problem for you in terms of your girlfriend getting a job, etc ?
  7. Why not Just get married and hget cheap married quarters?