live firing tactical training

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by squigeypie, Apr 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im of on this course ( old FFQ course) later on in the year, has anyone got any info etc... course contents and limitations as regards to reg qual, that sort of thing

2. Hope you have a steady hand, get some good drawing pens (0.1 - 0.5) a flexable rule and pump action pencils. It's a Fcuking good course.
    Not sure on the full legalities regarding TA qualification limitations.

Basically you will do the following:

Template making
    Trace work
    Battle Exercise
    Minor LFTT
    Major LFTT

You Major has to include a number of these:
    OHF guns
    FF guns
  3. Presume this is what you mean (unclassified info from Armynet):

The All Arms Live Firing Tactical Training (AA LFTT) Course (Short) is an All Arms Phase 3 Course for Officers, WOs and SNCOs from the Reserve Forces. It delivers progressive, individual and professional training in infantry dismounted close combat, infantry combat support skills and the conduct and supervision of LFTT with Infantry Weapon Systems (Inf WS).

A successful student will be awarded the following qualifications:

SA (C) (90) Conduct and supervise TLFTT and LFTT exercises on Field Firing Ranges and IBSR including: battle inoculation; vehicle mounted small arms, pintle mounted and shoulder controlled; the destruction of blinds and misfires; plan, conduct and act as an Exercise Assistant during exercises involving blank ammunition and pyrotechnics.

SA (D) (90) Conduct and supervise live firing/throwing on Light Anti-tank Weapon Ranges, Light Mortar Ranges, Standard Grenade Range, Projected Grenades (non-tactical). The destruction of blinds and misfires; plan, conduct and act as an Exercise Assistant during exercises involving blank ammunition and pyrotechnics.
  4. Did mine when it was FFQ, it was the most hideous course I have ever done for work load.

I have heard it is more user friendly now. Mind you, it didn't help that the instructors wife had left him the day we turned up.

The other thing I remember was that there was a bloke whose father used to be Ken Dodds musical director.

I can't guarantee you will experience either of these things.
  5. I think the work load is still there, I just found it a good course, learnt loads
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Note the conduct and supervise bits. You will need someone with the A qual to plan the range, but they can then hand the plan over fot you to conduct.

Make sure that you are able to pass WHTs on all the weapon systems shown on the JIs, and are very familiar with Pam 21.
  7. thanks for the info, but as a yeoman( we dont do much field firing) i think ive been asked to attend so my sqn as someone for the above in bold, surely there is a easier way to supervise blanks, anyway im looking forward to it and am reading pam 21 as we speak, providing my bid is excepted that is
  8. I believe 'M' qual is required unless you have 'A'.
  9. We've been through this ad naseum.

As it stands at the moment (and going by the letter of the law), in order for us to plan conduct or supervise blank firing exercises, we either need to complete RMQ, followed by LFTT(TA), or attend the All-Arms Basic Close Combat Skills instructor course.

If you are RMQ already, then LFTT would certainly be an asset to your Sqn, and the Regt as a whole, and would probably be a better use of your time than AABCCS.

There is supposed to be a standalone 'M' qual course, but no-one outside 51 Bde seems to have been able to sort out anything as yet. My guess is until this happens, there will be alot of exercises conducted with people shouting 'bang'! :wink:
  10. msr

msr LE

But think of the budgetary saving ;)

11. your right there badgers no one in my circle knows anything about a stand alone "M" qual course as yet, hence going on this course. im already a saa inst and rmq, so this course is natural progression however not coming from an inf unit i cant see me ever doing anything remotely interesting on ranges after ive done the course, we seldome do field firing( every 3 or 4 yrs) never throw granades and all that jazz. so i feel that after 2 weeks of hard work and a lot of effort on my part, this will be all in vein
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Remember...If you build it, they will come!

(And you will become very popular with other units nearby once they find out about your quals!)
  13. What if I left the Regs and went TA, would my 'A' qual still remain?
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Yes, as long as the time between leaving the regs and being taken on strength in the TA did not exceed 2 years.
  15. In the Royal Yeomanry, and nothing interesting he says? What about Sennelager camp '06, and Otterburn '08? Why do you think there is a requirement for everyone attending camp to have already passed APWT? :wink:

As The_Duke says - with LFTT under your belt, you can help to make ithe fun stuff happen!

ALso note the use of the wordage 'vehicle-mounted small arms' in the SA(C) description! :D