Apparently completely coincidental timing of this announcement!
To me it seems quite a clumsy use of a stick with which to poke Putin- and one which was buried last time we wanted to kiss and make up with him.
It's a bit unseemly to drag up this 2006 assassination every time we get a monk on with the Ruskies.

To me it seems quite a clumsy use of a stick with which to poke Putin- and one which was buried last time we wanted to kiss and make up with him.
It's a bit unseemly to drag up this 2006 assassination every time we get a monk on with the Ruskies.

I suppose there's not much chance of it being natural causes then.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Putin will shoot down any attempt to blame the Russians.

Some bloke on Radio 4 explained it well; HMG really do want to look into this matter, but there has never been a good time to raise this (rather delicate) issue for fear of upsetting Putin.

Given the current situation, Russia will have more to think about than the impact of an investigation.

Not Us. His widow convinced a High Court judge in February that an enquiry should be held

Well, there's some interesting stuff coming out of this-the Two chief suspects were even more incompetent than we thought, and made more attempts to kill him than we thought.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31020466

Dr Cary said Mr Litvinenko had shown signs of multi-organ failure as a result of acute radiation poisoning.

He added: "It appears Mr Litvinenko ingested a large quantity of polonium-210 on or around 1 November 2006, largely if not wholly by oral ingestion, rather than by inhalation.

"The calculated amount absorbed was in far excess of known survivability limits."

There was no precedent for such a case of
alpha particle radiation poisoning in the UK, he said.

Perhaps KGB Resident will now stop wittering about background levels of Polonium from smoking too many ciggies?

At least the lawyers will be looking at a prosperous New Year.

Putin's already answered this. His domestic law forbids extradition of properly accredited state security service agents for criminal acts overseas. We aped them and introduced the same for us, some time ago now.

"We're not letting you have him, you wouldn't let us have yours"

Even if Putin himself stood up, publicly named the agent/s and said it was on his orders, it wouldn't change anything one iota. In his particular case, his street cred would probably rise.

Suppose the Russians send a team of lawyers?

They may demand the body be exhumed for another post mortem examination......

Then lose it in a filing cabinet

I suppose the difference is that we elect villains to Parliament, then, when found out, send them to jail.
The Russians select villains, and after they have been found out, put them in Parliament.
Still when you have a majority of one, (Putin) AND everyone knows you are only in there because you are the President's personal murderer, I don't suppose your terrified constituents will ever cause you problems.

The inquiry will find that either Mossad or the CIA did it.
It's pointless as the Russians wouldn't hand over the suspects in a million years.

DannyDiehard

War Hero

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...q=risc management litvinenko polonium&f=false

Clumsy is the right word. Keith Lindsay Hunter, RISC and before that Mayfayre with ex Met Alex Leighton ? At a time NCA are working out what to advise Theresa May to do re investigating police corruption touching on Lawrence case ? At a time IPCC are allegedly already investigating for Theresa May re Lawrence case.

May be less of a stick to poke Putin than a whip for self flagellation.