Little knowledge is dangerous!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by thebutlerdidit, Oct 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son who has an overclockers pc, was trying to solve a fault with WoW by updating drivers, he has inadvertently corrupted/deleted the following file:

Windows will now not start, does anyone have any idea how to fix this, I have tried it in each mode, but keeps coming up asking for windows disk. when this is inserted and PC rebooted same screen comes up.

Any ideas how to fix, or does it need PC guy!

Many thanks
  2. i had a similar problem with mine (thinking i knew more than i did)

i eventually got a pc guy to help me but they told me to press F11 at start up and risk loosing everything as if i had just bought the computer newly.

Don't know about any disks however.
  3. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Try using the roll back feature as part of the repair disk.
    Download ERD disk burn to cd on another computer boot with this and then run roll back.

This may still not work. The JRAID.SYS controls the raid array of your hardware. ie, your hardrives. by all accounts it sounds like he has deleted the driver for the harddrives.

Are you running vista or XP
  4. XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
    2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
    3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
    4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
    5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
    6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

If you get files not found during the copying stage.

Blaster worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties and there is a check box on the Advanced page.

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011
    7. Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP installation. Please note that a Repair Install using an Original pre service pack 1 or 2 XP CD used as the install media will remove SP1/SP2 respectively and service packs plus updates issued after the service packs will need to be reapplied.
  5. Does he not have to make sure he presses the F6 i think it is to load the raid rivers?
    If he does not windows will not see the raided drives..
    Only on software raid obviously.
  6. True if xp does not recognize the driver you will have to press f6 so you will need the raid driver, which is a bugger if its on a floppy and you don't have one floppy drive,
  7. Running vista, sorry to be thick but what is ERD?

Thanks for all advice
  8. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

ERD - Emergency Repair Disk.

There is one called ERD Commander. All above mentioned things are good however if you have access to tinterweb.

Google the file name and the exact error you get on the screen there will be a number of forums on how to fix it.
  9. I posted a thread of the best disks to burn and keep aside in the event of things like this - MiniPE would rectify this no problem, simply pop the missing file on a USB stick (download it from 'tinters)

then run MiniPE - Browse to the location and copy it in there.

Should work again no problem.
  10. Does miniPE "see" the raided drives?
    I know that erd commander and winternals does not....
  11. With MiniPE I think that you have to load the raid controller first via usb/floppy/cd but BARTS version of Mini PE - another Pre Environment RAM OS recognises Raid arrays without pre loading the controllers.

I also havent time to check which I put the link to in my post, MiniPE or BARTS.

I haven't had chance to physically check so just going off memory though.