Little Kit Queries

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by 307, Dec 12, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 307

307 War Hero

Right just a few queries, just acquired an issue assault vest and can see the little waterproof toggle tops in the pouches being a right pain, so on with the old choparoo do you think? Deffo cutting out mag dividers in it to. Also, how do you stick a inner tube round your helmet cover, what do you stick the 2 inner tube ends together with? I know these seem gash questions, but it's the little things that count. Do you lot use O rings to allow helmet to attach udner resi?
  2. Don't use an inner tube for your helmet rim.

Use the end of an NBC overboot. Cut it about inch and a half or 2 inches wide, and it will stretch to nicely cover even Large helmets.

Jobs a goodun.
  3. Why do you put inner tube around your helmets? Are they punctured? Have I told you that I once organised some adventure training? I did and it was really cool. I'm great I am. I'm a civilian but I know everything about nothing so I post it all on here.
    Have I told you about my adventure training?
    I'm really rich too and I drink port all of the time because thats what rich, posh people do, besides sleeping with all of their family members.
    I once organised some adventure training. I love port too.
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

WTF do you want to remove the spindrift shrouds for ?
    If you're using one of these pouches for large items, eg a waterbottle or extra mags, the shroud folds down inside the pouch out of the way.
    They're there for a reason - to keep kit in & sh!t out. If you cut them off you've not got the option.

Which Armchair Commando told you to get rid of the mag seperators ?
    A wannabe one of 'Them' maybe ? "Get rid of the dividers, it'll save weight !"
    They're called ammunition pouches, and are used for just that - what did you want to fill them with ?
    You can get three H&K mags in each pouch, giving you a total of 180 rds - just how much ammunition were you thinking of demanding ?

If you feel the compulsion to put an inner tube around your lid, you use a section of car tyre tube, not a length from your mountain bike !

Not sure what you mean by: "Do you lot use O rings to allow helmet to attach udner resi" ?
  5. Exactly, then he doesn't have to tie any ends :lol:

Not sure what he wants it for either, other than they're in all those movies of the Vietnam war.
  6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I suppose if a bike inner tube was used the tied off ends could hang down the back of the neck like a ponytail......very Steven Segal

Special Forces Chef you know !

7. Nah ,just adjust the straps as and when , otherwise you'll end up with half the QE2 anchor chain hanging from under you chin. Never quite saw the point of the inner tube around the helmet 8O
    All the Besst
    I am off to a sunny place this Weekend, And I managed to choose it all by myself, Watch out Palma Nova
    8) :wink:
  8. try getting helmet cover that fits hence no need for inner tube .Grenade pins through helmet rings work well though i guess an o ring would work .Try the rig out before you start attacking it
  9. Black Nasty sorts my cover out,and as every one else says, leave the dividers/spacers/tightners in. You'll feel a proper charlie if you're jangling like a Calcutta whore with one hand holding the offending pouch.
  10. Stuff 'O' rings, Grenade rings ect, go for a length of elastic stitched to your bin lid.
  11. wouldnt your helmet then bounce up and down on your head as you ran? just like they used to when we had those damn awful tin lids!
  12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

A Strap, Utility works ok as an extra chinstrap for noddy use, fits flush against the lid when not in use too.
    Top tip - cut the bugger to length unless the Battle Fashion Police dictate you really need a long webbing ribbon hanging down past your left shoulder ! Very Stallone I suppose :lol:

Filbert ! I've only just got over the nightmares of the elastic chinstrap tin lid c/w suicide spike on the inside...... :cry:
  13. 307

307 War Hero

I was advised on cutting out the mag dividers by an actual commando actually, my brother, currently deployed on Telic using these vests a hell of a lot. As for the seal up bits, I thought of that myself, thought it'd mean less dicking aroundgetting bits caught by it etc. As webbing pouches seem to manage fine without. The inner tube was suggested by a para to a few of us on ex. to keep the cover from wearing out. And I was unsure whther to justa djust when needing to or whack on a ring round the chinstrap, but I think I'll just adjust the strap when I need to. Thanks for the input.
  14. Does your brother find he's spending twice as long getting sand out of mags than anyone else? 8O
  15. 307

307 War Hero

No because they've been living in a nice palace and driving round Baghdad in a nice armoured range rover vogue with nice HK53s. But the mag pouches don't have a seal on them anyway, so it's null and void really mate.