Little bit hacked off

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Craggle, May 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Turns out I can't join regular army as my living costs are to high for the basic training wage to cover them (I have a family and I'm not council so I pay for everything). So decided to ask the company I've worked for 10 years if they would support me joking the TA. They said no as no one would be able to cover my job for 6 months if and when I'm mobilised even though they have around 300 employees.
  2. That's terrible mate. Please enjoy my heartfelt condolences and cherish them always.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

But they can't sack if you do, it's against the law innit.
  4. I thought so to. Decided to ring the careers office and they basically said yes the company can do that. I think it may of been different if they hired me whilst i was in the TA, as when you return they have to hire you for 13, 26 or 52 weeks on return but they can't sack you on grounds of being a reservist.
  5. I've never heard of a recruit being refused induction into the Regular Army because he wouldn't make enough money before. :? It didn't seem to be a problem in my day when the press gang came around.

Them with Huey.jpg
  6. Trust me it happened. I ended up talking to a warrant officer for over half an hour about finances. It boiled down to that I/we would have enough money to pay all the bills but I wouldn't have enough to live on on base ? Came down to the best conclusion was to join the TA as they don't take financial status into consideration.
  7. Put it this way m8 if you want it hard enough you should go for it, why have regrets later, I would be highly surprised if a company could or would fire someone who joins the TA, imagine the bad press.

Plus a company who doesn't openly support the forces in any way shape or form sound like a bunch of pricks.

Give them the two fingers mate and go for it !
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I had the same problem, so my wife and daughter are moving in with her parents while I'm in basic, is this something you could do?
  9. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Do what exactly? I don't understand.
  10. No not enough room in both parents house's. That's what has caused the problem we had to move into a bigger place half way through the joining process for the regular army.
  11. They can basically turn round and say if and when I'm mobilised they won't keep my civilian job open. It's a nice way of putting if you join the TA don't expect your job available when you get back.
  12. I've never been in a married quarter that cost me more than £200 a month for rent and council tax combined.

If your company don't want you joining the TA then tough. You could go against your boss' wishes if you really want to but I wouldn't have thought that shitting on the people putting a roof over your head and food on your table is the best idea in the world.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I'd have to check but I'm almost convinced that under RFA96 they cannot (legally) do that and if they did, you could take them to court. That's not to say that they wouldn't find a way to bin you but unless you've been a complete cnut, they'd be on properly sticky ground.

What sort of company is it?
  14. It's a logistical company. Best thing is I also want to join RLC so they will even benefit from me joining.
  15. Think I'll fail on the whole 17 thing.