Literary help on Gurkhas.

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by Aggernon, Jun 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would be grateful if anyone could tell me the correct adjective for the Gurkha people.

Online I've found both Gurkha and Gurkhali as adjectives (suggesting possession).

What I need to say in my text is 'the Gurkhali hill farms' or 'hill farms of the Gurkhas'.

Which, if either, is correct? I gather that Gurkhali might simply mean the language.

2. I would have thought 'Gurkha hill farms' should suffice.

3. I think you'll find the correct descriptive term for these fine people is treefrog singular or treefrogs collectively.

I can happily say this as they are a fine bunch of lads and I have about 40 working for me, all of whom are at least 10 years older than me and treat me as some sort of God.

I've seen "The Man Who Would Be King", I hope I don't end up like Sean Connery's character did. I'll just have to try not to bleed, or if I do stay away from bridges.

4. If in doubt, use the Aldershot News and Mail protocol;

It's Gurkha when the news is positive,
    Nepalese when it's not.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you all.

I've rescinded to:

Unable to picture the girl on their visits to the Tibetan grottos that were on the Chinese border, or hill farms of Dhawalagiri, Clara had been describing the dhal bhat tarkari and juju dhau that was eaten there.

Thanks again.

6. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Then the whole exercise was not a complete waste.

7. Ba'halo mudji, always illlicits a response! But you might want to be wearing your trainers if you say that!

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'd long thought "Gurkha" comes from the hill town of Gorkha and their ranks were dominated by four groups, the Gurungs and Magars from central Nepal, the Rais and Limbus from the east, who live in villages of impoverished hill farmers. "The British term "Gurkha" evolved from the name Gorkha, referring to the famed fighting soldiers of the region" Nepal Home Page Travel Guide: The Most Comprehensive Guide to Nepal Travellers. News, Travel, Himalayas, Music, Food, Business, Arts, Society, Politics, Government, Chat, Discussion Forums, Economy, Yellow Pages, Phone, White Pages, and everything el

9. Is this book written in Nepalese?

10. Remember to use Nepali not Nepalese, they prefer the former. Ghurkali was originally a word for the Nepali language, before Nepali became the accepted term

11. You're quite right of course, they prefer the former and it's polite to use the term that people prefer.

However, I tend to go along with the term Nepalese.
    When used by foreigner, 'Nepali' seems to me slightly affected, a bit like saying,
    "Do you speak français"
    But that's just a personal point of view and I wouldn't claim to be correct.

12. nepali= languageghurkali= soldiers languagelumli= group of protesting soldiers

• Like Like x 1
  13. Not with me scraping through with the odd word in Gurkha.

It's a book on one of the archaeological sites in Europe. But a couple of the expedirion are mentioning their earlier work on the Chinese/Nepalese border. Just trying to make that look realistic.

I worked out that my ownly hope of getting it right was to ask here.