Literacy & Numeracy drive CLM

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Kitmarlowe, Feb 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had an interesting email from my PSAO with regard to the aspiration to match regular army practise with the provision of CLM courses in the TA.

They now want my exam certificates from school so they can match them with a list of permitted courses and do some magic.

The only downside of this is I left school 28 years ago and Uni 20 years ago. Since then I've moved at least 6 times all told. I couldn't even tell you which exam board I sat in 1981. I could get a replacement piece of card paper from Uni but they wanted some silly sum of money for it and since no one ever asks to see the damm thing, they just check to see what the Uni published at the time.........

Anyone esle think they're going to have a few problems finding exam results from the dim and distant past ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. suck it up princess time i fear ...

verification of Qualifications is a big issue in general at present... there are health professionals who have been struck off for being a bit generous in their mis remembering of grades at school

3. I can understand checking Health Professional's qualifications, thro I'd be looking sideways at the idea of a properly qualified professional who has passed all their professional cources at the required standard being sacked for claiming a GCSE Grade B instead of a Grade D...

However. How many people will just laugh when asked to provide exam certificates from 10 years ago, let alone 20 years ago. How many TA bods required to waste their restricted MTD's on training courses that really will have little or no relevance to their real life will actually bother ?

4. msr

msr LE

I suspect they will laugh until they are told their promotion is on hold until they provide them

• Like Like x 4
  5. What promotion ? I'm casual labour mate......;-)

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

This is no more or less sensible than insisting that all new applicants sit a basic literacy and numeracy test to see if they have reached the education level of an 11 year old, despite them holding GCSEs, A levels or honours degrees.

7. Just as well that MTD-sucking shibboleth that is CLM(V) has been 'parked' until such time as DETS(A) can prove that it has a point.

8. Smarten yourself up and you might get a better job.

9. I've got my exam certs from 198<cough> goodness me is that the time ? You can scan them if you want, although I'm not sure a CSE grade3 in Domestic Science and a fail in Social Studies would be much use.

10. blimey i know a few that dont even reach this age!
    great way to get rid of them now!;-)

11. I have, just week days thro, which might be my downfall.....I mean, If I can't commit to an extra 96 hour every two weeks I'm must be so totally jack......;-)

12. This is about to come crashing down upon all of us, I have yet to see the detail of it but we have just warned our Squadrons off on it, my experience of recently liaising with Warrant Officers about their qualifications showed that only 1 in 4 had and could prove they had the required number of GCSE's to commission. To be honest I was aghast that their admin is that bad that they cannot prove their qualifications - however after speaking to some of the above that are good friends, I am now convinced it is a generational thing. I have a folder in the safe that contains all of my transcripts and certificates from school onwards, they are my licence to work!

13. Struck off?
    Lucky not to be jailed for submitting a fraudulent job app.

14. msr

msr LE

Is it one of those nifty black box folder type things? Perhaps we should issue them to everyone and advise them to keep all of their course certificates and other administrative bits and bobs in it. Taking this idea one stage further, I propose this be known as a PDR.

m-s-r

• Like Like x 2
  15. What qualifications does one need to become an LE ?