Lisdhu House

Discussion in 'RAC' started by commander, Sep 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A bit of a shot in the dark, but did anyone else other than A Sqn 4/7 serve at Lisdhu House in NI during the early 70's? looking for pictures and any recollections of what the rooms were for. Have sent this to several other sites as well. As usual when you think you have tons of shots you only find one.

2. Hi - I am interested in Lisdhu House for genealogy purposes.

Can you tell me more about Lisdhu House, what is is/was like etc.
    Would love to see photos.

Thanks

3. The OP was some years ago and I am not sure whether he still frequents ARRSE.

A Sqn 4th/7th opened and set up Lisdhu House for military use in the early 70's, If you are serious and wish to pursue your research then might I suggest the RDG website(link below) where you will be able to access the forum, failing that try a Facebook search for RDG or 4th/7th.
    Either way you should be able to make contact with the guys who were there from day one.

Royal Dragoon Guards Association • User Control Panel • Login

4. Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I haven't been able to get into the RDG forum as I was unable to met all the criteria, (I'm not service personnel) and perhaps I shouldn't have been able to get into this forum either, for this I apologize.

I am interested in Lisdhu House for genealogy purposes only, and as I don't live in the UK have to rely on the internet to do my family research.

I am assuming that there is/was only one Lisdhu House and that it had been lived in by the STUART family at least from the early 1800's.

If it is in fact the same STUART house I would love to know more about its history. Are there any photo's available of the inside or outside? Is the house still standing?

Thanks.

5. Why not contact them here and ask for access based on your specific request:
    Royal Dragoon Guards

Cunning plan eh?

6. You beat me to it.

Posie, I haven't done any research on this but it is in the back of my mind that there is a place called Lisdhu in or near Coalisland(northern ireland)which has a large stately type house. Whether this is the Lisdhu House you are looking at I don't know, the Lisdhu House that the 4th/7th were involved with was actually in the town of Dungannon.

7. Great, will try that.

8. Robroy - I have had a look on google maps and to me Coalisland and Dungannon are reasonably close to each other, so it could be either. Although for some reason I had Dungannon in my mind. Once I know what history there is about the Lisdhu House that the RDG used then I know I'm on the right track.

What I'm looking for in the history is whether the house was built before or very early 1800 as I have a STUART family member who is said to have been born there in 1817. These STUART's are from the Castlestuart line so I imagine that they would live in a 'large stately type house'. I(but I could be wrong!!).

9. My memories of the house are to say the least a bit dim it was a long time ago and I only visited the place three or four times to see the guys that were setting the place up for the Army to use.
    If you can send me a personal message with an email address for yourself and some basic details of who you are I will post something on the RDG forum and 4th/7th Facebook site.

10. Lisdhu House is 1/2 mile NE of Edendork village between Dungannon and Coalisland.

The build stone on the house reads "Built By Hon AG S Augus 1816"
    Now AGS are the initials of Andrew Godfrey Stuart, but there is a little symbol after the S (up high) and a small (low) T after the Augus, which may suggest that it was 08/1816 or perhaps something entirely different e.g. that the stone was in fact changed at a later date. Who knows.

The house is knocked down (early 80s).

11. Hi Stefen - that's information is great and an interesting note to add to our family history.

Hope you are having a great Xmas and New Year, although our news is showing some rough weather in the UK.

Posie

12. JMC

JMC

Born and raised at the main gate house of Lisdhu House..Lisdhu House was burnt down in the 1980s whilst my parents lived in the gate house...the only remaining items from the estate in my possession are two sandstone balls which sat on the pillars at the end of the driveway up to the house...