LiPo Battery Question

Can I connect 2 500mA LiPo batteries in parallel to achieve a 1000mA battery pack or am I dealing with an IED.

Can I connect 2 500mA LiPo batteries in parallel to achieve a 1000mA battery pack or am I dealing with an IED.
There's only one sure way to find out.

Go on, you know it makes sense. Video it for us though, OK?

Depends. Are you just using it for power or is there extra circuitry that will charge these batteries?

Just for power, it should be fine.

Depends. Are you just using it for power or is there extra circuitry that will charge these batteries?

Just for power, it should be fine.
If it fits it will be for an action camera that is charged through the camera port.

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
If it fits it will be for an action camera that is charged through the camera port.
Assuming both batteries are single cell, i.e. 3.7 volts then you can connect them in parallel for power purposes if they fit. Under no circumstances should you try to charge them in parallel using the internal camera circuitry. You may be able to find an aftermarket higher capacity battery made for the camera but I think you would be pushed to find one with double the capacity, maybe 550 - 600MaH tops.

MrMemory

War Hero
Have a look here -

Forget it. Get the proper battery for it.

If you ever put two or more lipo batteries together, you'll need charge controlling for both of them individually.

The camera assumes you have one battery installed and so will try and charge it depending on what its controller is reading. This could potentially cause one of the batteries to over charge and cause problems.

Either get the original battery or get a USB power pack and use that to power the camera externally.

Last edited:
Forget it. Get the proper battery for it.

If you ever put two or more lipo batteries together, you'll need charge controlling for both of them individually.

The camera assumes you have one battery installed and so will try and charge it depending on what its controller is reading. This could potentially cause one of the batteries to over charge and cause problems.

Either get the original battery or get a USB power pack and use that to power the camera externally.
I note your point. I notice that a lot of these batteries have their own charge protection circuits, would this be a valid protection or would the additional load still affect the camera charge circuit?

@MrBane

Have you considered branching out into electronics?

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
I cannot find a definitve answer, this is for a Drift Stealth 2 action camera.
In addition to the charging hazard that I, and others, have mentioned there is another safety issue you have to consider when swapping batteries about.

Part of a battery spec. is the 'C' rating. The 'C' rating is the instantaneous current that the battery can provide in the event of a short circuit. Assume your 500mAH battery has a 'C' rating of 2. That means that in the event of a fault in the camera that presents a short circuit across the battery, the battery will allow a current of 2 x 500mA, 1 Amp, to flow. The equipment manufacturer will have factored this in when he selected the component ratings of the camera. In other words, with 1 Amp flowing the camera wont melt or explode.

If you now put an identical battery in parallel you double the 'C' rating. If the same fault occurs this could now draw 2 Amps through the camera, things will get very hot, melt and possibly explode. Going by your avatar, not the sort of thing you want happening on top of your helmet!

As an aside, the same hazard exists when putting rechargeables in TV remotes and small battery clocks etc. Only use non rechargeable zinc carbon or alkali batteries.

Thank you all for your input, I will end the experiment here.

Being ex fire I suspect my mates showing up would only end up being another post in Emperor Mong's thread of glee.

Thank you all for your input, I will end the experiment here.

Being ex fire I suspect my mates showing up would only end up being another post in Emperor Mong's thread of glee.
I'm setting up a news alert for 'battery fire'

Latest Threads