Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Schaden, Feb 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

"A frightening read, but it is definately true. I served in Bosnia,Kosovo,E.Timor and Sierra Leone and I can corroborate what Lewis Page says, indeed I believe he has been kind. The real situation is far worse. We often had no night vision, aviation, fire support or good weapons and clothing. We were also aware of the Army of senior Officers and Civilians talking 'doctrine' i.e spin whilst nothing changed at the front.I find it impossible to accept that we cannot be well equipped on the budget we have."
  2. Page is about 60-70% accurate. Unfortunately, that has allowed his opponents to select the inaccuracies and rubbish the whole book as a consequence. Taken as a piece of polemic, it makes all the necessary points (if you can avoid the subtext that the armed forces did not value Page himself as much as he felt they should)!
  3. Ah, this'll be the same ex Lt Lewis Page RN who spent 11 years in the mob and couldn't get promoted.

The same guy who spent the majority of his career on Minesweepers so is fully clued up on maritime operations involving the use of FF/DD and above :roll:

The guy is an over-opinionated arrsehole (allegedly).
  4. Ah, and there was I putting it as nicely as I could!
  5. (Dr) Richard North was fishing on this subject here.
  6. The book is utter pish and show's Page's sheer naievity and lack of understanding of 'the bigger picture.'

It is monologue of drivel and akin to listening to a passed over major dripping about how good things were in his day
  7. Yes, he is chippy and passed-over, and yes there are huge inaccuracies in much of what he writes BUT there is plenty of material that is true. He is generally wide of the mark when it comes to his 'vision' for the restructured Armed Forces (very parochial and narrow-minded), but he is right in his criticism of the Government interference in the acquisition process (propping up ailing Italian helicopter companies, buying in to 'Euro'-projects etc) and his criticism of much of the acquisition process (and those within it).
  8. to be fair his aguement is about as strong and well cliched, its like listening to that fat bloke in the pub!!....waxing lyrical about ministerial waste, shared projects etc...hardly incisive, just cliched drivel
  9. Yes, it is not an in-depth analysis, but it points in many of the places that better journalists might like to consider looking. However, the book should not be dismissed out of hand either.

It is a bit like reading 'On the Psychology of Military Incompetence' - sweeping generalisations that allow you to arm yourself against becoming part of the problem.